Problem with LAN ports on router

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
My router Dlink G684T began to behave strangely. I can't establish connection with it using LAN. Even if I establish connection, when I open router Web interface, I lose connection after few seconds. Here is router board:

You can see there is one bad capacitor (1000uF, 25V). Can it be reason for strange behaviour of LAN ports? Is there any other component which can make problems?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Every component you see could potentially cause a problem, or it could be something you cannot see, the software.

That said, one failed capacitor is certainly enough to bring down the entire device. It's in there for a reason, to perform a function, and you can be pretty sure it is no longer performing that function.

Routers are cheap. I suggest buying a new one and spending your time on battles you may win.

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for answer. I will first try to fix it by replacing capacitors. If this does not solve problem, I will buy new router.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
If it has just begun to behave intermittently, I bet that the trouble is exactly that capacitor. If you're buying a new capacitor, might as well get several. And if replacing that one troublemaker fixes the issue, consider replacing others near it of like kind.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You can see there is one bad capacitor (1000uF, 25V).
The final failure mode of most electrolytic caps is open; so you could try tacking a new cap across the suspected bad one to see if it helps. If it does, you've found the problem. If it doesn't, still worth seeing if replacing it fixes the problem.

Most things aren't worth fixing these days. If I can fix it, fine. If I can't, it's usually more cost effective to buy a new one than to pay someone to repair it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My vision definitely isn't what it used to be. Which capacitor in those photos is bad? Is it the brown one near the top center (the top looks puffed up)?

Techno Tronix

Joined Jan 10, 2015
The final failure mode of most electrolytic caps is open; so you could try tacking a new cap across the suspected bad one to see if it helps. If it does, you've found the problem. If it doesn't, still worth seeing if replacing it fixes the problem.

Most things aren't worth fixing these days. If I can fix it, fine. If I can't, it's usually more cost effective to buy a new one than to pay someone to repair it.
As dl324 noticed the bad capacitor, you should go with new components to solve this issue.