Problem with JetDirect card?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I just got a printer in from eBay and I am thinking I made a mistake.

Among other things I am having a problem with the JetDIrect card.

I am getting a green connect light on the JetJirect and a green connect light on the router. But I am not seeing an activity light on either.

I cannot ping the printer.

I can print a test page and config page on the printer.

Is there something I need to do with the router to get it to see the the pronter or should it pretty much just connect?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Ok. thanks. The only HP ive had much experience was the 5000..a 60" inkjet. that printer connected directly with ethernet.

If he is talking about the P1005 he bought for PCBing, it has a USB2.0 for connectivity.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The LJ is a 2100.

The interface card is a 610n

I connected direct to the PC and same problem.

I t with a USB parallel cable that does not seem to be working. I imagine I need drivers.

I'm confused.

Do I need to hook it up to the USB / parallel on one PC? Or should it work straight off the network?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Some work off the network, some need a PC to spool to the printer. Check to see if there are any options in the firmware for network on/off options. They may be off. Does the PC find the printer when you hook it direct with USB?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
No as I said. The printer itself does not have a USB port. It came with a lame USB to parallel converter. That cable does not seem to work.

I should at least see an activity light when I hook to the ehternet port correct?

I hooked the printer to an old PC with a parallel port. It does print from there but the printout is very washed out. I doubt it will print well enough for toner transfer.
It is supposed to be a 6 week old cartridge.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
For the Printer to work off of the JetDirect, you have to install the JetDirect Drivers and then install the printer as a network printer using the printer drivers....

You can check out the Installation/Troubleshooting for the JetDirect here >> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...rodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=27347&taskId=115

According to the printer specs, that it has an expansion port for a JetDirect 600N, so the JetDirect came with the printer??

The printer provides an EIO Slot for HP Jetdirect 600n print servers for fast and easy connectivity.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
HPs site stinks big time. They make it so hard to find anything.

Yes it is a JetDirect card that plus into an expansion port.

Before I install anything, I should at least be able to ping the printer. And that is not happening.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
But I am thinking I am wasting my time anyway. The printout is horrible. Very washed out. I think I bought a $30.99 boat anchor.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Got the print quality issue fixed. There was an extra roller that U had no idea where it wen finally figured it out and it improved things dramatically.

I can see from the config sheet that the printer is receiving and transmitting packets (the packet count is changing).

But still cannot get it to respond to the Jet Admin utility.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Is the JetDirect connected through a router to your PC? If it is, are you using an RJ45 Patch cable or a crossover cable?

What operating System do you have installed on the PC? (XP, Vista, etc.)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Aparently, you will need the cdrom for the printer and / or the jetdirect cd...

There are two software CD-ROMs with printers that come bundled with Jetdirect printer servers, one CD-ROM is for the printer and the other is for the HP Jetdirect print server. Which CD-ROM should be used to install the printer on a Windows computer?

SOLUTION: Some HP printer CD-ROMs include network installation software; depending on the model of printer, follows the steps below.

NOTE: The HP 175X external print server is supported using IPX/SPX in a Direct Mode or Windows Peer-to-Peer environment only. This print server is not supported in Novell environments.

1. Use the following printers' CD-ROMs that include the HP Jetdirect network installation software; their CD-ROMs are optimized for installing HP Jetdirect print servers (except for the Jetdirect 802.11b print servers).
    • HP LaserJet 1200
    • HP LaserJet 1220
    • HP LaserJet 2200
    • HP LaserJet 3300 series
    • HP LaserJet 4100 series
    • HP LaserJet 9000
    • HP LaserJet 9000MFP
    • HP Business Inkjet 2280
    • HP Color Inkjet cp1160
    • HP Deskjet 5550
    • HP Officejet D series
  2. If the printer CD-ROM is not available, use the HP Jetdirect CD-ROM.

Using the printer CD- ROM supplied with the printer
If you are installing a Jetdirect 802.11b print server, skip these steps and select one of the subsequent two sections.

• Insert the CD-ROM into the computer's CD-ROM drive. Run the installation software. When prompted, select the network connection option. Follow the screen instructions and use the on screen help files as needed.

Using the HP Jetdirect CD- ROM if the printer CD-ROM is not available

• Insert the CD-ROM into the computer's CD-ROM drive, run the CD-ROM utility, and select Install to run the installation software. Follow the screen instructions and use the on screen help files as needed.

Although you do not need to use the HP Jetdirect CD-ROM, its networking documentation and troubleshooting may prove useful. If the CD-ROM for the HP Jetdirect print server is used with an HP Officejet all-in-one or multi-function peripheral (MFP), only printing will be available over the network.
Also, If the HP Jetdirect CD-ROM instead of the printer CD-ROM is used with an HP Officejet all-in-one or multi-function peripheral (MFP), only printing will be available over the network, not faxing or scanning, etc.
HP Officejet all-in-one or multi-function peripheral (MFP) not in the list above

NOTE: Printing will be the only function available over the network.

Using both the HP Jetdirect CD-ROM and the printer CD-ROM, following these steps:

1. Insert the printer CD-ROM, supplied with the printer, into the computer's CD-ROM drive. Run the installation software. Even if you have a USB printer server, such as the HP 175X, select the parallel port.
  2. Insert the HP Jetdirect CD-ROM, supplied with the print server, into the computer's CD-ROM drive, and run the CD-ROM utility. Select Install to run the installation software.

Any other HP printer or any non-HP printer not in the list above

1. Use the HP Jetdirect CD-ROM, supplied with the print server, in the computer's CD-ROM drive and run the CD-ROM utility. Select Install to run the installation software.
  2. If the Jetdirect installation software cannot find a printer driver automatically, you will need to install one.
  3. Go to the printer manufacturer's Web site to download a printer driver.
  4. If using an HP printer, the printer drivers on the HP Web site are sometimes referred to as Add Printer drivers or Corporate User drivers.
    1. Download the printer driver to your PC and unpack or unzip it.
    2. If it installs automatically (you can use Add printer and any LPT port if necessary), then select Install from the HP Jetdirect CD-ROM.
    3. If it does not install automatically, then select Install from the HP Jetdirect CD-ROM and when prompted to find the driver, browse to the folder where you placed the driver.

For either HP and non-HP printers, you may also find the printer driver on the CD-ROM supplied with the printer. The HP Jetdirect installation software requires a printer driver file of the type *.inf

• Select Install on the HP Jetdirect CD-ROM. When prompted to supply a driver, browse to the folder containing the .INF file. The HP Jetdirect installer requires a printer driver file of the type *.inf
  • On CD-ROMs supplied with HP Inkjet (Deskjet) printers, usually the correct driver is in a path similar to one of the following: \drivers\language-abbrev \operating system \ or \operating system \language-abbrev \drivers or \language-abbrev \operating system \drivers
    Where language-abbrev is the language version of the driver (e.g., enu for English or fra for French, etc.) and operating system is the version of operating system (e.g., Windows 9x, Windows 2000, etc.)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks for all of your help.

To answer some of your questions.

I am running Windows XP.

The printer is connected to the router via a straight through patch cable.

The light on the router and jet direct card light up when connected so I know I have a good connection.

But I cannot ping the jetdirect.

I then hooked the jetdirect straight to the PC via a crossover cable. Please see related post.

Same thing saw a connection light. I setup the PCs with a satic ip and added a route the the jetdirect ip with route add 10.25.90.21 myipaddress. No ping.

I tried both PCs. No ping.

I then connected both PCs together to make sure I had everything setup right. After adding a route to the 2nd PC I was able to ping.

I am thinking that the jetdirect to toast. I think we have an ethernet jetdirect card at work. I will see if I can borrow it to see if I have the same problem.

I contacted the seller and he admits that he was not using the jetdirect but a 3rd party print server. His add said everything worked.

He is going to need to resolve this.

The big problem is that it seems like his first language is something other than English.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
It seems as if someone else tried to connect a JD 610N and a LJ2100 here is their discussion on the problem I found on HP's site:

I have an old HP Laserjet 2100, which worked fine with an external jetdirect box, I replaced a new internal jetdirect 610N recently but cannot get the 610N to DHCP.

the printer did find the 610N and prints:

hostname: NPI7432BF,
IP address: 10.50.5.14
subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway: 10.50.1.1
Configure by: user specified
DNS server 10.40.2.1

I cannot "talk" to the 610N though to get a correct IP so that I can print. I installed INPW_en on a laptop, networked the computer on the same hub as the printer, but the software does not find the printer. I tried http and telnet to the IP (10.50.5.14). no luck.

will a reset on the 610N change it to DHCP? that is all I really need. once I have a valid IP, I can configure my computers to print to it.
The 2100 is very difficult to use to reset the network card. I do not why but most times it will not reset. You need to try a cold reset by press both buttons on power on and continue to hold for about 10 seconds and then release. If it does not reset, then if using xp use the route add feature at a dos prompt to add the 10.50.5.14 to the ip address of your computer and then you can use your web browser to bring up the card and make any changes you want to and then apply those changes. Good luck.
I managed to reset the card. holding the cancel key while powering on for 20 secs and now it does DHCP and is working....

still trying to get an old mac (G3) to print to it and it wont though. need to compile gutenprint which requires EGPS, which requires others....and CUPS compiled with some error....