Problem with Electronics workbench 5.12

subhpoto

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Salam
i have some problem regarding lighting a simple led in EWB 5.12.
i have put a led and connect it to a battery but nothing happens except error messages

i need help about this

subhpoto

Joined Jun 13, 2008
dear
i have connected a battery to an led and i does not light up . then i also use a ground but nothing happens again

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Are You Turning The Switch On??? It Is Located On The Upper Right Hand Corner. If There Is No Operator Error Which I Bet there is...
Then ... Ask Yourself A Question??? Where Is The Problem??? Look At My First Post...and You Will Find The Answer.

subhpoto

Joined Jun 13, 2008
sir
i know the button is at the upper right corner.
i check it many time but circuit does not work . plz may u send me simple led circuit that works .
i m not missing a ground .

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Let's not guess what subhpoto is doing. Let subhpoto either give us his screenshot or confirm what I did based on his words.

Then we can offer advise on how to correct his situation. If he's expecting the led to energize, I don't think that happens in Electronics Workbench. It does happen in TINA, whose "free version" is called TINA-TI and is available at the TI website.

Besides, 10 ohms is pretty low to be using as it would regulate the current to over one ampere.

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Then we can offer advise on how to correct his situation. If he's expecting the led to energize, I don't think that happens in Electronics Workbench. It does happen in TINA, whose "free version" is called TINA-TI and is available at the TI website.
YES IT DOES LIGHT UP.
Besides, 10 ohms is pretty low to be using as it would regulate the current to over one ampere.
He is using a "simulation" software meaning that he can have an "ideal" LED with can handle ANY current or Voltage.
Nothing is going to blow up you know.
Now, do you have a better solution for his problem???

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Well, my copy the led didn't light up when I gave it the specificed lighting current (20 mA).

I remember when you exceeded the power of the lamps on the Elecronic's workbench, they went from illumination to dead, but that was 10 or 15 years ago since I played with it.

As far as subhpoto's problem, till we establish what he did, we can't address the problem. Your first solution was to turn on the switch. I suspect he didn't insert the current limiting resistor based on his words, but this is an international forum where english might not be the primary language. I don't like to insert my words for their words, as it's the posters responsibility to provide enough information (like a schematic, screen shot, whatever) so the members can give them a coherent answer.

Simulation software can simulate blowing components up. If, and that's a big if, his setup was like I described, the led never lit ... and it didn't energize when I inserted a 500 ohm resistor (slightly more than 20 mA flow). That is why I stated what I did.

Can you show me a screen shot with the ideal led energized in Electronics Workbench 5.1.2?

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
I am not going to waste my time with that. But Electronics Workbench works under Spice. In spice sometimes you need to insert a small value resistance in a node in order to make the program believe that current is flowing. Can you try inserting a 10ohm res.?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I've inserted a 500 ohm resistor ... and it does not change the diode(s), ideal, red, or green.

Waste some of your precious time by blowing up a light bulb in Electronics workbench. It de-energizes and the filaments are open. LED's do not indicate they are on or off in version 5.12.

Yes, I know to get rid of the error I shown on the screen required a resistor, even 1 milliohm works ... with an unrealistic kA flowing. You, nor I, know if that was the OP's problem as they have not returned.

If you can't prove the LED energizes under normal conditions, then state so.

I didn't consider it a waste of my time, nor beneath me, to ask the OP about his setup.