Problem with BCD to decimal decoder (K155ID1)

zOlt

Joined Feb 16, 2009
Hello,

Noob question.. :rolleyes:

I have a problem here trying to test a few K155ID1's that I've came across but i just don't get how they work.

Ive tried using this simple schematics to test it out but no luck. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So when you look at the truth table if all 4 inputs are low (0v?) output "0" shoud be on turning IN-14 bulb on right? I mean the gate should open letting the common ground to pass the IC and turn on the lamp. Or im totally off here :confused:

even when i try different combinations relaying 5v to inputs accordingly it just doesnt work.

Here's the scematics im trying to do.

Attachments

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you get the data sheet for a 7441 IC, you will see that all outputs are disabled for any input above 9d. Your drawing has all inputs floating, so there's no telling what might go on.

To test this IC, pull the inputs up to +5 through individual 4.7K resistors. Then you can apply ground to the inputs in such a way to make up the BCD for 0 - 9.

If you don't have a Nixie tube handy, just use a 10K resistor to pull each individual output up to some DC voltage and check to see if the correct one goes low for the BCD input.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Two problems I have noticed.

a. There is no anode current limiting resistor. Check that they are required or not.

b. TTL inputs defaults to HIGH logic level if left unconnected. Your circuit does not indicate connections to 0V on the inputs. If you left them open, then there will be four HIGHs and according to the truth table, there will be no output for 74141.

First test the operation of the display by jumper the corresponding pin to 0V to confirm the digit glows. Then you can test the operation of the 74141.

zOlt

Joined Feb 16, 2009
Tube is not the problem because it works just fine when i skip the IC.

To test this IC, pull the inputs up to +5 through individual 4.7K resistors. Then you can apply ground to the inputs in such a way to make up the BCD for 0 - 9.
So you are saying that for instance if i want to enable output "5", i need to connect 5V to inputs C and A and connect ground to inputs B and D, because i tried that and it makes no sense :confused:

All i need to know what to connect to inputs to get LOW

Truth table

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
When a bit on an input is 0 connect it to ground.

When a bit on an input is 1 connect it to 5V.

According to your diagram, for the lamp to turn on you need to connect all inputs to ground.

zOlt

Joined Feb 16, 2009
When a bit on an input is 0 connect it to ground.

When a bit on an input is 1 connect it to 5V.

According to your diagram, for the lamp to turn on you need to connect all inputs to ground.

BEST ANSWER!!! Thanks mate :)

///CLOSE THREAD

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
If you get the data sheet for a 7441 IC, you will see that all outputs are disabled for any input above 9d.
Just to clarify if someone later found this thread.

The 7441 do "react" to BCD code higher than value 9 and turns on one of its decimal output.

The K155ID1, which claims to a replacement for 74141, works like the 74141 and does not outputs anything for BCD code 0A to 0F.