Problem with 74192

sigfred103

Joined May 26, 2011
Someone please help me with this circuit I am creating. I have trouble in presetting the 74192 IC. I could present only the number 1, 2, and 3 but not the rest. presetting the IC with numbers 4 to 9 would display a zero on the 7-segment.

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Is that seen on both displays? That's odd.

One thing to try is take a voltmeter and confirm the correct levels get to L1, L2, L3 and L4 on both chips. Then see if after a load the correct levels also appear on Q1 Q2 Q3 and Q3, then move on to the 74LS47's and see it is also correct at 1,2,4,and 8.

I would be quite surprised if all of those levels are correct.

How does it count? I bet it doesn't count just once per press of SW1 or SW2; you need some debouncing there.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This is a good remark. If this is a real circuit, you will need an SR latch in all your switches. Now it is probable that the count will increase several time with each press.

sigfred103

Joined May 26, 2011
Thanks for all your help. I finally made it working. The problem was with the IC. and for the count up and down switches I used a 7408 AND with inputs A and B connected (1 AND 1 = 1). I also experimented with 7474 latch for debouncing the switches.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You have another chip killer in that design. Resistors for LEDs are not optional. I'm am currently experimenting with a design that uses some odd characteristics of CMOS, but TTL uses bipolar transistors, which means if you try that for real the magic smoke will escape either from the chip or the LED, or both.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It looks like you are using 9v for the supply. That is much higher than allowed for 74LS TTL; the datasheet calls out a range of 4.5v to 5.5v for Vcc.

Some 74C series go higher, but these are becoming fewer and further between. Many of the 74HC series are limited to 6v and less.