problem of linear optocoupler

shoka

Joined Mar 12, 2009
hello,
i want to measure a voltage of 700 v max and feed it to the ADC of microcontroller so , i want to isolate the circuit with a linear optocoupler.
i want to use LIA120 but i can't understand how to design the circuit?
if any one help me to design that one or recommend another type of linear optocoupler which he had used before

thanks in advance

shoka

Joined Mar 12, 2009
thanks beenthere,
but the input diffrential voltage is very small about 200 mV to guarantee linearity.
do u think it'll be accurate to measure 700 volt. and it malny designed for sensing current
thanks again for your reply

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Presumably you've also considered a Hall Effect voltage transducer. Simple & robust - but may not meet your economic constraints, if any.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Another technique for achieveing opto-isolation is to use a Voltage-to-Frequency converter the output of which you pass through an opto-isolator. The output of the opto-isolator can then be fed to a Frequency-to-Voltage converter to recover a facsimile of the original DC signal.

hgmjr

shoka

Joined Mar 12, 2009
thanks t_n_k
do u recommend me certain model ?
thanks hgmjr
does Voltage-to-Frequency deal with the harmonics of the signal and also can i isolate ac using it ?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
t?
thanks hgmjr
does Voltage-to-Frequency deal with the harmonics of the signal and also can i isolate ac using it ?
What frequency components do you expect to encounter in the 700 volt AC signal?

Yes opto-isolation is achievable. The V-to-F feeds a corresponding F-to-V. These two stages are separated by an opto-isolator. It is the opto-isolator that provides the isolation.

Of course to accomplish full isolation, the v-to-f stage will need its own independent power source.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings shoka,

Can you provide us with more details about what you are trying to accomplish with this measurement scheme? 700Vac is a very high voltage to be working around.

hgmjr

shoka

Joined Mar 12, 2009
i have an induction generator which is driven by motor emulated wind turbine , the voltage out of the the generator is rectifier ans then inverted to give 380v, 50 Hz as the induction generator works with variable speed (means variable voltage and variable frequency) i need the linear optocoupler for isolation purposes

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You are trying to pass 380v through an opto?

It will be a VERY VERY large custom made opto. (house size)

Why use optical isolation? How about a transformer?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You could also take a look at an isolation amplifier.
These have an input of ± 10 Volts so a 1:100 attenuator will give you a ± 1000 Volts range.

Bertus

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Perhaps the easiest and the safest way to deal with the 700Vac source is to use a stepdown transformer. A 100:1 stepdown would get you in the ballpark and then all you would need is a resistor voltage divider to get you the rest of the way to your target voltage.

hgmjr