Problem in UPS charging.

humaironline

Joined Jul 29, 2011
Dear,

I purchased a UPS before a couple of week. due to electrical failure, UPS charging finished completely. Electric start at my home after 3 days.

when I plug UPS, and turn on its main button, UPS start sounds like "tik" , "tik" and the indication lamps (charging/Battery full) switching each other.

Kindly help me in this regard.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
700 Watts, that is almost 60 amps for a 12V battery. I suspect your battery (batteries) are toast. Lead acid batteries are simply not rated for this power level.

Inverters do not work well for home use. They will handle appliances by themselves, but have you really done the math. We get a lot of that here, to the point one member asked they be banned. If you are powering an entire home you probably need a generator.

So, does this make/model of inverter have a battery inside it? What is the VA rating of the battery?

humaironline

Joined Jul 29, 2011
Yes, I forgot to post technical detail. here it is...
1000VA 700 watt
150 Ah AGS bettery. (see picture)

Total load = 1 Ceiling fan (100w), 2 Energy Saver bulb rating (25w)

I think load is not too much, some one said that battery is on 0 level.

the jerks will come till battery level up. keep charging.

Please tell me is it safe to supply ON at this condition.

Humair.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hello Humair,
I think that AGS batteries are sold in Pakistan.

I understand that you charged the battery completely full.

Then the mains power went off for three days?

And you were using power from the UPS for those three days?

Your load is a total of 150 Watts, and the UPS is rated for 700 Watts; but that is maximum output.

If your UPS is 85% efficient, with a 150 AH battery, your battery will be completely discharged (0% charge remaining) in 10 hours and 12 minutes.

150 Watts / 12 Volts / 85% ~= 14.7 Amperes needed from the battery.
150 AH / 14.7 Amperes ~= 10.2 Hours.

It is very bad for the battery to discharge it completely. It will not last long.

For best battery life, you should not discharge it more than 30%. That means no more than 3 hours of run time with a 150 AH battery.

50 AH will give you 1 hour of run time.
100 AH will give you 2 hours.
1,200 AH will give you 24 hours; 1 day of run time - but it would take that UPS a very long time to charge them all.