Private message attachments

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Agreed with Der, there have been times when I'd like to share a document or file, but I'd rather not pass on my email.

Sparky

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I currently have 3 email addresses, one for the job search (disposable), one for spammers ( their are sales I actually want to know about, and this an address I've had for over 20 years), and my current private email, close friends only though I've noticed spam getting there lately (they all get out eventually). Any of these I could use for file transfers.

Emails are a disposable asset, you can always change them.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Me too. 3 addresses with my ISP and a gmail. 1 keeper, 3 disposable.
Well, really, they are all disposable if they start accumulating spam. It's just that the keeper is for friends and family. I'll have to inform a lot of people when that one goes bad.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Sending data by PM is not a good idea for file size reasons, just as we have size limits on attachments here. A 10 page document at good resolution can run to 10 to 20 meg.

I have provided data files by email on several occasions here and in other forums.

I always PM the intended recipient and say that they need to let me have an Email address that can receive attachments, and give a rough size.
I send the data to this address, using a controlled studiot address.

Often the recipient sets up a special gmail hotmail or similar just to receive.
This is fair and for their own safety and peace of mind since they do not know me.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Sending data by PM is not a good idea for file size reasons, just as we have size limits on attachments here.
So why not allow PM attachments which are within the same size limits as for the open forums?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Because it would require an administrator to reconfigure the site software, assuming the package allows it. Not real likely, given the known bugs we are living with.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I thought it was a standard in the vbulletin software? Perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyway, I have 6+ email addresses, each has its own purpose. Jumping between them can be annoying, so switching to a particular email account just to send a file is inconvenient and troublesome. Personally I'd love to see the "attach" option on PMs, but if it's too much trouble for the admins I'd understand.

Regards,
Matt

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There is a hack available for older versions of vBulletin to allow attachments in PM, but it is stated as unsupported.
This could endanger the stability of the forum software.

If you want to share things in a PM, use a webbased storage and give a link in the PM.

I personaly would not like to have the attachments in the PM's, as it would go by the spirit of the forum, sharing information.

Bertus

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I personaly would not like to have the attachments in the PM's, as it would go by the spirit of the forum, sharing information.
Isn't that an argument for banning PMs altogether ;).
PMs are convenient for not-of-general-interest off-shoots and nitty-gritty details of topics. PM posters sometimes seek auxiliary private data which should not be in an open forum but could usefully be supplied via a PM attachment.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In my oppinion, the PM system is there to exchange personal information like adresses and email details.
It can also be used for giving price and how to exchange details for stuff in the Flea Market forum.

Bertus