Prehistoric Machinery?

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
And some of you guy's have been making fun of the TV show, Ancient Aliens.
I am losing my skepticism... Admittedly I know squat about radiocarbon, or other dating techniques... So don't really know if these things in the link are really that old... however... something dredged out of a solid coal seam, had to come from somewhere... unless someone is the biggest bull <snip> artist the world has ever known... Research being scheduled for my own edification...

I will grant the theory one thing... This Boundless universe, must have intelligent life elsewhere, that could possibly have the means to cover Giga-immense distances in reasonable time...or not...

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Would you make a cog system using aluminium? It wouldn't last long!

That depends.....some anodized aluminum, rack type gears, are driven by phenolic pinion gears; (And vice versa), that have lasted for lots of years.

But for Millions of years?

I hope someone proves these articles wrong.;)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't stake a lot of faith in radiocarbon dating, so I am automatically suspicious of any claims that contain "____ million years ago/old." That being said, I also believe we are not alone in the universe, so you could say I'm on the fence.

In any case, I think our timelines are a little messed up, as evidenced by the Antikythera mechanism

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Not because it escapes our comprehension,rather because it depends on the most flimsy of evidence.

Sure thing, but if it is an object that you can hold in your hand/s, and make accurate measurements, that would be more than flimsy evidence. Don't you think?

Just how accurate is radiocarbon dating?:confused:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Just how accurate is radiocarbon dating?
Under most conditions radio carbon 14 dating will work with organic (formerly living matter) back to around 60,000 years.

Uranium 235 decay along with other radio isotope parent/daughter ratios works fairly well for long term dating but the estimates derived from that can have variations of +- a few % on average depending on which parent/daughter isotope sets are being used.

If the scientists doing the dating did their jobs right and they say 300 million years figure they are more than likely accurate in that to +- a few million years.

Granted if they did it wrong the stuff found could very well be nothing more than odd bits of items dropped down old wells or parts of modern era mining machinery. :p