Prefered adhesive for circuit boards

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I want to glue a couple DB25 connectors to a board. Would you recommend hot glue, super glue, or something else?

Thank you

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Are your connectors plastic or metal?
If they are metal, you could use some J-B Weld. That's about as permanent an adhesive that is on the consumer market.

Circuit boards are fiberglass, which means they are glass and epoxy.

Plastic usually won't stick with epoxies very well.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
The db25 socket is plastic, the board is the normal fiberglass circuit board. I want it to stay fairly well because I'll be connecting cables.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Doesn't the socket have mounting holes? DB25 connectors usually have mounting holes at either end. You can use standoffs to attach the connector at either end. If it's a circuit board that you made, drill a couple of matching holes for mounting it. If it's not your design, drilling holes in it may cause big problems, particularly if there are hidden layers.

In that case, the safest way to secure it would be to use hot glue.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
Thanks -- I'll try hot glue. I can't mount the connectors they way they were intended to be mounted because the pins do not line up with the pin holes on my perfboard, and so I've wired them upside down.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Second on the drill.

Hot glue holds stuff down for vibration and minor tugs once in a while.

A DB connector is typically yanked hard in various directions when trying to get the right side up and fully connected when not in plain view.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I bought some of the 'extra strong' glue and a glue gun. I'm using a ribbon cable connected to DB25s to connect to the connectors I'm gluing down, and it's internal use so no people tugging on it.... hopefully it will work out.

Thanks