Practice Simulation of an Inverter

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
This is some practice work I was doing because of recent questions about inverters.

Things to notice is that this is purely a mockup. I did not even bother creating the Oscillators, letting Signal Voltage sources pinch hit because I was not feeling that ambitious and it is easier for LTSPICE to simulate the circuit if you do it in pieces. It doesn't need to work the signal circuits in this simulation. I will tell it what I expect the signals to be and let it voltage Pulse source them.

I would simulate the signal generation in an entirely different circuit and compare it to identical sources to what I am using here to see if I have the signals I wanted.

More difficult than creating the signals is syncing them accurately. That is a a real problem since the blanking pulse for example is less than a millisecond. A tiny drift out of sync and the Fets go up in puffs of 1000Amps smoke.

As always I am hoping to hear advice on anything that I failed to consider or understand from people with more experience. That is one of the main reasons to post the Simulation file and images.

Attachments

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I didn't check if I had any models. If I were building an inverter for real I would be smart to use the IC's for the purpose and save myself some trouble.

But I expect I would be more likely to be fixing an inverter than building one. This sim is just for practice.

If I were trying to repair an old computer UPS for example.

In that case looking up the data sheet for any ICs or Transistors would be just about the first thing I would do after I first looked at it.