Powervamp Automatic Charging System Question

ceefna

Joined Feb 21, 2012
Hi I have had a Powervamp charger laying about for years( approx 15 years old) see pictures.
The charger was used to charge an automotive booster pack. What I would like to know is is this charger ok to use on a sealed lead acid car battery
The charger seems to have a timer circuit and both current and float charge have got adjustable pots.
The reason I ask is I tried it on a battery and it was connected for 2 days and still said charging. What voltage should it charge a lead acid battery to before fully charged?
Also the 2 orange wires on the COM1 plug are confusing I have no idea where they are supposed to go as I didn't disconnect(cut the output plug!) off the charger.
Has anybody come across this type of charger before?

Any help would be great
Thanks for your time
Richard

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The charger panel says it outputs 4A@12V so it should charge a standard auto battery in less than a day (24 hours).

The typical charge voltage at full charge is about 14.2V. A fully charged 12V lead-acid battery should read about 12.6V after it has rested with no connections for several hours.

ceefna

Joined Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for the info, I will set the charge volts to 14.2 and see if it switches off. I think it maybe something to do with the 2 orange wires on com 1, maybe these are something to do with the timer? I am sure they will have connected into the main booster pack but for what purpose?
There are pots for "Timer Trip Level" and "First Float" but these don't seem to make any difference when adjusted.

Thanks

Richard