powering small device with solar

Gilderod

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I read previously the discussion (old) on powering an outside weather station sensor with a solar device. That discussion included the use of diodes.

Would the trickle back problem be remedied by using a small solar battery charging system? 1.5 volt trickle chargers are quite common.

If the charger was directly wired to the sensor at its 1.5 volt battery terminals would this alleviate the need to reinvent the wiring (using the diode)?

Yes, I am electronically challenged.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yeah, I'm afraid I don't understand your questions. You mentioned a solar charger system, trickle charger, a sensor, a solar device. I'm lost.

Can you propose a schematic of what you want to try?

Taking a wild stab at your question, I believe a purpose-built solar charge controller will not require you to use an external blocking diode. I would expect it to be handled inside the charge controller.

Gilderod

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I will have to get back with specs. I have not purchased the weather unit yet and therefore do not have needed info.

Thanks.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Dirt simple devices such as solar garden lights charge using just 3 components: the solar cell, the battery (seen both AA and AAA in there), and a series diode.
Mostly Ni-Cd, & some 2/3 AA, because of easy charging, & discharge to 0 V without damage. Now Li Fe PO4 in a fat AA is appearing; suposedly safer than Li ion, but should not be fully discharged.