powering a reverse/forward motor

cjphelps

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Hello,

I have a single phase motor(230V) that can be made to forward/reverse by wiring according to this information:

CCW:
L1 --------------- P1
L2 --------------- T4 -T5
T2-T3-T8
P2

CW:
L1 --------------- P1
L2 --------------- T4 -T8
T2-T3-T5
P2

How would I wire this with a 3 conductor wire to the motor and a reversing contactor?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
A double pole double throw contactor that swaps T5 & T8 will do it. Hint - attach T5 to one moving contact and T8 to the other. Draw it out on paper, should be easy.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hint #2: Have the switch "center off." You want to be able to let the (single phase) motor stop before reversing it.

John

Edit: Oops. That may not work so simply. The message is that your reversing switch should only be changed when the motor is stopped. You need an on/off switch as well. I use either an interlocking switch (you can't hit forward without going through stop), a drum switch for reversing (same principle), or separate on/off and reversing switches. The latter is OK, if you don't have too many bozos working it.

Last edited:

cjphelps

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Hint #2: Have the switch "center off." You want to be able to let the (single phase) motor stop before reversing it.

John

Edit: Oops. That may not work so simply. The message is that your reversing switch should only be changed when the motor is stopped. You need an on/off switch as well. I use either an interlocking switch (you can't hit forward without going through stop), a drum switch for reversing (same principle), or separate on/off and reversing switches. The latter is OK, if you don't have too many bozos working it.
Hi John,

Yes We have a interlock switch.

What do you mean by center off?

cjphelps

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Gotcha,

We were given a Allen bradley reversing starter for reversing the AC motor. It is basically 2 contactors side by side connected through a interlock switch.

I am having trouble finding a wiring example for using such a device. any suggestions?