Powering a Rail Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

samixon

Joined Jul 14, 2010
My friend and I are thinking about building a rail gun, and after doing some research I have some ideas for how we're going to power it, but I definitely need some input/guidance.
As of now I'm planning on using a capacitor bank to power it, but I'm not completely sure of how I'm going to charge it. Currently I'm planning on plugging into a standard 120VAC wall outlet and running that through a rectifier. If I'm not mistaken, that should achieve about 85VDC.
I'm planning applying that over a 1F capacitor bank. Assuming that it is fully charged and takes 2ms to discharge, I'd ideally have a 42.7kA current to run through the rails.
If I've made any mistakes please let me know, otherwise I'm wondering if I should actually be able to start with these ideal values or if I'll have significant losses when I charge up the bank.
Any other (relevant) comments, criticism, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Sorry, we do not support your request.

2. Appropriate conduct. Forum members are responsible for the content of their posts, including information they provide, validity of this information, and any extra content they may append to the post.

Illegal or inappropriate discussion or information will be removed. When there is ambiguity in the legal status of a request or reply, the Moderators and Admin will come to a consensus on whether the discussion is appropriate to remain in the public forum.

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.
Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I got this in an e-mail:

I posted a thread to get some help on powering a rail gun for a project my friend and I are doing. I'm just wondering why you closed the thread and what exactly was innapropriate about it?
This is a family forum, we get people of all ages (from 8 to 88) and experience levels (from real beginners to experts).
We like to keep the things safe over here.

As answer to this I would ask you to read this thread:
Things that close your thread

Bertus

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.