powering a dog tread wheel

daddyfarlessa

Joined Feb 11, 2014
I FOUND VIDEOS ON YOU TUBE SHOWING HOMEMADE DOG TREADWHEELS (THEY'RE ACTUALLY PRODUCED BY A COMPANY CALLED GO-PET.)THE ONES OFFERED BY GO-PET DON'T INCLUDE AN ELECTRIC MOTOR; THEY ARE ANIMAL DRIVEN. A FEW OF THE HOMEMADE ONES HAVE MOTORS. I TRIED MY DOGS IN THE UNIT I MADE & THEY ARE STUBBORN AND WOULD JUST SIT THERE.

I'M LOOKING FOR A RELATIVELY SMALL ELECTRIC MOTOR, WITH LOW SPEED CAPABILITY AND A LITTLE TORQUE.

ANY INFO OR REFERRAL WILL HELP . . THANX, MARK
I FOUND VIDEOS ON YOU TUBE SHOWING HOMEMADE DOG TREADWHEELS (THEY'RE ACTUALLY PRODUCED BY A COMPANY CALLED GO-PET.)THE ONES OFFERED BY GO-PET DON'T OFFER AN ELECTRIC MOTOR; THEY ARE ANIMAL DRIVEN. A FEW OF THE HOMEMADE ONES HAVE MOTORS. I TRIED MY DOGS IN THE UNIT I MADE & THEY ARE STUBBORN AND WOULD JUST SIT THERE.

I'M LOOKING FOR A RELATIVELY SMALL ELECTRIC MOTOR, WITH LOW SPEED CAPABILITY AND A LITTLE TORQUE.

ANY INFO OR REFERRAL WILL HELP . . THANX, MARK - See more at: http://www.forumjar.com/forums/topi...OMEMADE_'DOG_TREADWHEEL'#sthash.XwyuZpFH.dpuf

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need to define 'Relatively Small'?
There are plenty of small DC motors on ebay from the miniature to the full size T.M. size.
All DC motors will work down to 0 rpm, max torque usually occurs at this point.
There is also many used in the automotive field if you have a wrecker near you.
Max.

daddyfarlessa

Joined Feb 11, 2014
thanx for the reply . . I guess I was thinking of A/C -?-

anyways, the wheel itself weighs about 19 lbs. (I made it wide enough for both of my dogs - terriers) one weighs approx 16 lbs. and the other is approx 21 lbs.

I want to be able to start them off slow then gradually increase the speed

so, you're suggesting a D/C motor off a car ? (I do have wrecking yards nearby)

like maybe a fan motor that controls the airflow ? (used with A/C & heater)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The size of the motor is going to be dictated by the torque requirements of the mechanics, so once you have made or decided on this, then the motor and any G.B. can be sized.
Max.

daddyfarlessa

Joined Feb 11, 2014
to inwo :

what makes it different is that a dog treadmill has 'sides' to it to keep the dog from easily jumping off

here is they're website http://www.gopetusa.com/

what I am working on is a round exercise wheel that is totally enclosed, except for a small gate where you put the dog in (it's similar to a hampster wheel, just bigger)

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Gotcha!

Wasn't aware of the wheel type.
Reason I asked is that there are so many treadmills out there for a song.
Was thinking that would be a good place to start.

It may still be.
You could strip out the motor and control for your purpose.

daddyfarlessa

Joined Feb 11, 2014
I do take them for regular walks twice daily. These dogs (bother/sister) are uber hyper.

When I saw the products offered on the link I provided, I realized that this type of tread wheel is what I needed . . I figured I could make one myself for a lot cheaper.