Powered Handcycles Help

majypoo

Joined Dec 8, 2011
Hi people, I am in a wheelchair and have been looking at options to get out the house more and need some help. To do this I want one of these but the price is ridiculous http://www.teamhybrid.co.uk/handcycles/powered/viper.htm and I just paid out £2k on a new manual wheelchair. The adaptation isn't that complicated looking at it so I was thinking of trying to make one myself, I should be able to design the frame of the powered handcycle and get it built in carbon fibre hopefully. However I ain't sure how I would go about doing the electronics side of it, I am guessing you would need a special front wheel with an electric motor/battery combo. Is there anything any of you people can recommend in getting one of these made for myself? The battery would have to last around 12+ miles per charge and be pretty light. Maybe a small screen to tell me how much power is left to if possible. A friend on another forum recommended you guys for help :)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think you would need:
A. the front end of a bike, with a heavy duty fork
B. a brushless e-bike hubmotor
C. a brushless motor controller
D. a bunch of LiPo or LiFePo4 batteries

There is a forum called www.endless-sphere.com/forums . This is all they do on that forum is make e-bikes, and talk about making e-bikes, all day. they can make you a good recommendation for specific motor/controller/battery combinations that I cannot. this should be much cheaper than £2800. for reference, check out the top-of-the-line motor & controller combo (349 + 349$) on this website. The website looks a bit bland, but the guy is a genius in electronics, not webmastery; I have read nothing but good reviews on his controllers. if you can get the motor & controller combo for 700$ & spend 300$ on the batteries; you would have a freeway speed capable wheelchair. Not enouraging you to do this, just pointing out what can be had for the money.