Power supply

dharanir.26

Joined Oct 11, 2011
Hi,
I have designed the simple power supply circuit for 24V/2A.and i simulated the circuit using NI Multisim.The circuit is working fine.But when i was testing practically with the load the output voltage is decreasing.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Presumably it's a simple unregulated supply. If so, then it's not surprising this happens. Any practical unregulated DC supply will suffer from regulation issues as the load varies.

dharanir.26

Joined Oct 11, 2011
When i am connecting the load of 24E,The DC output is coming down to 20VDC and across the transformer output terminals voltage also coming down.But the transformer is rated as it is capable of giving 2A.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Until you start posting images of your simulation schematic, there is not much we can do for you except to say "Your circuit is broken. Post a schematic."

dharanir.26

Joined Oct 11, 2011
Here is the circuit attached what i have tested and also tried with the 7815 regulator. Even though the during load regulation the output is decreasing to 8V and load current is 1A.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here is the circuit attached what i have tested...
If your input is really 20VAC, then the peak-to-peak voltage will be ~28.3v, and at the rated source load, you should see around 24.5v average on the cap C3.
... and also tried with the 7815 regulator. Even though the during load regulation the output is decreasing to 8V and load current is 1A.
You show R1 as 11 Ohms. To get 1A current through R1 will require 11v. If you were trying to output 15v, there would be 1.363.. Amperes current flowing through R1.

With only 8v at the output, current flow through R1 would be 0.727... Amperes.

If you did not have a really large heat sink on the 7815, it would shut down due to excess power dissipation in the regulator.