Power Supply voltage ranges

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I have a bad power supply for a Printer I just bought at a garage sale. It's 18.3V AC.

I have an unused 24 volt power supply in storage, can I wire it up (Pos -inside, neg-outside). The amps are different, 15mA on the 24 volt, vs 2A on the printer.

Can I wire up the 24v to replace the 18v?
Thanks,
Gary

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Doesn't sound likely. The first power supply is an AC model, the second sounds like a DC model. Guess we need more input.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
NO! You can not replace the AC 18.3, 2 amp power with a 15 mA 24 volt DC power. You have to get a 2 amp AC power with voltage in range of 18.3 volt. I guess +/-10% difference in voltage will notdamage your printer

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've made regulators to adapt wall warts, but you do have to pay close attention to voltages and amps. The wall warts that are AC and not DC just confuse matters even more. I've bought units at sales and flea markets that turned out to be AC, I don't throw them away, but they are basically useless. A lot of older modems used these kind of power supplies.

kkazem

Joined Jul 23, 2009
Hi Gdrumm,

Although you definitely cannot use the low current DC supply on your printer, you can most likely find a 2nd hand "wall wart" in the voltage and current range you need. Anything with current at or above 2 A and voltage roughly within 10% should do. Try Alltech Electronics (714) 541-0522. They should have something very close to what you need at a good price.

Regards,
Kamran Kazem
kkazem