Power Supply Failure

jecarts

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Helo Gud Day! I just want to ask what power supply components easily get damaged when there is frequent fluctuation of electricity or can anybody give me a schematic diagram of an atx computer power supply and with label what are the components that be easily damage... thanx ur response is highly appreciated.................thanx a lot...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You are better replacing a blown power supply. How much are they in your area, vs how much replacing a mother board, hard disk, and other parts? I've been through that, it doesn't make much economic sense.

Generally the most common cause for power supply failure is the fan dying. The fan is the one component I'll replace when it shows signs of dieing, such as loud noises.

For the power supply has actually died, think about this. It has died, the rest of the components have been stressed. As I mentioned before, if a power supply died the wrong way it can take the rest of the computer with it, effectively rendering it scrap. Of course, you won't know that until you start buying parts. Lots and lots of parts.

KrisUK

Joined Feb 27, 2009
You are better replacing a blown power supply. How much are they in your area, vs how much replacing a mother board, hard disk, and other parts? I've been through that, it doesn't make much economic sense.
Agreed.

If the power supply dies it could quite easily take out a few components in the supply with no indication of what exactly caused the failure. You could replace parts only for it to happen again. If you try to repair it, the next thing it could take out is your motherboard and beyond.

Make much more sense to replace it as the PSU is a vital component of a PC, which is often overlooked. Most think a cheap PSU will be fine but a cheap PSU is more likely to fail and take other parts of your PC out. My advice is to splash out on a good new one.