power supply current control

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bengi, Mar 17, 2010.

  1. bengi

    Thread Starter New Member

    Feb 24, 2010
    i am in the middle of building a ver.(v) ver. (c) 20 amp power supply.(br) i plan to use 4-2N3055's for reg. having never used this
    divice befor, i need to know how to wire these transistors.
    V+ in to? V+ out from? is there a ground used? voltage will be
    comming from v+ control pot. the letters B/C/E show me nothing.
    am using 2 LM317 for v,reg. (to-3's)

    a circuit diagram would be great.
  2. albejanon

    New Member

    Mar 16, 2010
    Hi, for the specifications of this transistor I recomend to read the manufacturer datasheet of the component http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=2N3055 and after that you will have a clear idea on how to use it and the meaning of the letters... In add, if you use google you could find a lot of examples on how to use it but basically is to use a serial resistor with the vreg with one pin to the base and the other pin to the emitter of the transistor with such a value that could have a tension of 0,6 or 0,7 volts when the limit current of the vreg is reached. This way you polarize the transistor and the current will flow through it.

    This is one of lots of examples and different ways of doing what you want.


    PD: My english is awful and this is my first post... hello all and congrats for your amazing web.