Power spikes detection

Mian0486

Joined Oct 21, 2013
can anyone please help me how can i detect power spikes using Mitsibishi Programmable Logic controller(PLC) using Oscillator transformer and relays.
Many thanks

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That's an odd combination of devices. :rolleyes:
What do you want to do with the information about the spikes? In what form do you need this information?

Mian0486

Joined Oct 21, 2013
Thanks for your replies.
Well i thought the same when my project supervisor told me to measure power spikes using PLC. I researched on it and i found out that the easiest way to detect power surge is through oscilloscope. But he won't let me do it through oscilloscope. In the project brief he told me that i have to design a hardware consists of a transformer and a relay that will step down 220v to 5v suitable for PLC. Then i have to design ladder logic for the circuit on GX Developer and E-Designer and make some calculations to detect and measure the power spike from the supply voltage.
I tried my best to get why he want me to follow this method of spike measurement but i simply can't get it. Its kinda weird combination of power transient, transformer and logic controller.
If anyone of you have any idea or suggestions about this, i will really appreciate it.
Many Thanks

Mian0486

Joined Oct 21, 2013
Well he don't want me to find out any method for spike or surge suppression, He just want me to find out the graphs and calculate it.

Mian0486

Joined Oct 21, 2013
Thanks for your reply.
Well i thought the same when my project supervisor told me to measure power spikes using PLC. I researched on it and i found out that the easiest way to detect power surge is through oscilloscope. But he won't let me do it through oscilloscope. In the project brief he told me that i have to design a hardware consists of a transformer and a relay that will step down 220v to 5v suitable for PLC. Then i have to design ladder logic for the circuit on GX Developer and E-Designer and make some calculations to detect and measure the power spike from the supply voltage.
I tried my best to get why he want me to follow this method of spike measurement but i simply can't get it. Its kinda weird combination of power transient, transformer and logic controller.
If anyone of you have any idea or suggestions about this, i will really appreciate it.
Many Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Your first post mentions detect, but the last post mentions Measure also?
I am not sure how you are going to be able to measure with ordinary I/O?
As Alec_t mentions you would need a supplementary module if the PLC type/model is defined?
Max.

Mian0486

Joined Oct 21, 2013
Its Mitsubishi FX0. I talked to my power lecturer about this, as this project is related to power but my supervisor field is Digital signal processing. He told me that even if my supervisor want me to use PLC its function will be only limited to the spike data calculation. But again which device i am going to use to detect and measure the power spike after passing it through the transformer?. How i am going to measure it and from where i am going to get the data to feed it to the plc?
I asked my supervisor but he isn't very helpful. He told me to submit feasibility report but i am not clear at all about my project

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am totally unsure as to what they have in mind using the components specified?
Are you familiar with the Mitsubishi PLC both programming and how I/O works for the different types?
AFAIK the FX0 is long gone?
From what I can see the only thing you can do is set up a spike level capture somehow and trigger an input.
I would include in the report the feasibility of using a PLC at all especially if no analog modules are to be used?
I would be interested in what the final outcome was.
Max.

Mian0486

Joined Oct 21, 2013
Thanks a lot everyone for being so helpful. I am studying more about this. with time it will become clear what the supervisor want me to do as it is very confusing now. I will remember you if i needed your help:)

Mian0486

Joined Oct 21, 2013
Hi Max,
Can you please tell me what are the other possible ways to detect power spikes. can i use any micro-controller or any other device to detect power spikes. what will be my possible design at component level between power line and the spike detector.
I will really appreciate your help.