Power saving Devices

Sheetal Rana

Joined Jan 16, 2012
Hi everyone.. I want to know are there any devices that reduces the power consumption of electronic appliances like Fridge , fan or washing machines..

Does any one know abt it??

Thanks

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
It's probably a scam if you see one. You would have to change the design of these devices to improve their efficiency: for instance, improve the insulation of a freezer/refrigerator, or use a front-loading washing machine, which requires less water to wash the same amount of clothing.

Of course you could put some appliances that are used only intermittently (like a fan) on a timer, so that they only run when you need them. That won't help other appliances like fridge, oven, washing machine, etc. that have a “job” to do and it will take the same amount of energy to do it no matter if you do it now or later.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Ahh, but Paykal and Fisher have done it. They use BLDC motors in their appliances and have load sensors that only give the motors the power and speed needed for the load. Not using full power when not needed. About as good as it gets.

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
Ahh, but Paykal and Fisher have done it. They use BLDC motors in their appliances and have load sensors that only give the motors the power and speed needed for the load. Not using full power when not needed. About as good as it gets.
Well, sure.... that's just good design. Of course you can achieve better efficiency that way.

The OP doesn't appear to be asking about energy-efficient devices in general, but rather about some quick-fix aftermarket add-on device, which “devices that reduces the power consumption of electronic appliances” implies to me.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
NASA's Nola power factor controller provides a marginal reduction in motor power, but is not really economically feasible because the lifetime energy reduction hardly pays for the controller. Scam artists love this one because they can easily demonstrate savings on an unloaded motor.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
It's probably another of these scam power factor correctors.

http://www.nlcpr.com/Deceptions1.php
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_112569/article.html

Problems they have:

1.) they don't correct the PF of anything (they are basically magic boxes with LEDs in them) - the PF correction capacitors are not connected or often not included at all.
2.) they cannot work for everything, designing PF systems is a complex engineering task, not a "put in whatever you like" task.
3.) even if they somehow did, residential customers -are not billed- for non-unity power factor!

Sheetal Rana

Joined Jan 16, 2012
ok so what I extracted from all your replies is that there are no such gadget type devices available in market, energy efficient devices are though available.. so can you name some such energy efficient devices

And yea thanks alot for all your replies

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Low standby power consumer appliances... newer AC adapters are available on the market that use <10mW in standby. Newer TVs use <0.5W in standby. etc. Simple things like turning lights off when they are not useful.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Best advice would be to buy about 4 Kill-A-Watt units, and plug them in between the outlet and devices, leave them run for a week to get a good average. Especially on things like power adapters that are idle most of the time, and any other rarely used device.

You'll probably be able to eliminate at least 500+ kWH/month by unplugging stuff you forgot was plugged in, or didn't think drew much current when plugged in.

The reason I say to get 4, is yes, they are spendy, but the number helps you wipe out all the useless power drawing items like non switch mode power supplies very quickly. I'd say two minimum.

Other than buying more efficient appliances/equipment, and unplugging rarely used equipment vs. leaving on standby, there are no "cheats" for the electric company.

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
My suggestion to reducing your electrical bill would be to monitor your whole house. There are a lot of good products on the market. I use one that tells me in real time how must it is costing per hour and KW being used, also it projects the monthly bill. I have reduced my bill just by being aware of what I am spending. As far as appliances go you just need to be smart in how they are used. Like hang up laundry instead of using the dryer, shorter settings on washers/dishwashers like normal instead of heavy duty. Unplug extra refrigerators or freezers that are doing little for you.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
My suggestion to reducing your electrical bill would be to monitor your whole house. There are a lot of good products on the market. I use one that tells me in real time how must it is costing per hour and KW being used, also it projects the monthly bill.
Are you using the Kill A Watt, or is there one that does it for cheaper than the Kill A Watt (~$25 US IIRC)?