power inverter

whiz kid

Joined Oct 13, 2010
Hi folks
i want to build a 500 watt power inverter for user during power outages which are quite common in Africa and need help on how to build.I have no idea inverters

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
It sounds that you do not have much knowledge of electronics. In that case the odds of successfully building a working 500W power inverter are quite slim. And as mentioned earlier. Buying one is usually cheaper then building.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Why does everyone who has no sufficient knowledge wants to build heavy duty stuff.

They always think this is so easy

HUMBLE

Joined Oct 24, 2010
I understand where he is coming from.In Most African countries ,you see advertised everyday in the radio and TV , seminars on 'how to build your own inverter' in record time.

What those organizers of the seminars are not telling them is that they cannot build it from scratch without returning to them for a fee.

I guess that is the reason why you need the info to build an inverter.But as the others have posted,it would be better to buy a new one than to make your own Considering your state.

Just consider how many times you will call-on and pay the seminar organizer for consultation,think of the time.

But if you are so keen on building one yourself,then you can start your quest with much reading -making Google and Wikipedia your friends .

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Rather than trying to build an inverter, why not investigate using LEDs for lighting and 12v fans for cooling? Using LEDs will be far more efficient than trying to power incandescent lamps from an inverter.

Charging and discharging a battery is not 100% efficient; closer to 70%-85%. For every Watt of power you put into the battery when charging it, you might only get 3/4 Watt output, depending on how heavy the load is, and the condition of the battery.

Commercially manufactured inverters can be rather efficient, topping 90%. A home-made inverter is more likely to be around 80% efficient, if that good. The more efficient the inverter is, the lower your operating costs will be over the life of the inverter.

Commercially manufactured inverters are really not that expensive, either - and they generally come equipped with batteries, so they are ready-to-run. However, keep in mind that most UPS'es designed for use with computers are generally rated for around 10 minutes of operating time before they shut down due to the battery being exhausted.

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Hi
You don't say from which part of Africa you are, but if you from SA you can order a 500w inverter from Rabtron in Joburg. You pay about R600 for it.Go to a place like Battery King and tell them you want a 12v 100Ah deep cycle battery. The batt. will cost in the region of R1800. Use the batt. to drive the inverter when you have a power failure.