Power ground

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Early developers of electrical systems theorized that the earth was an electrically neutral body, i.e. an equal number of negative and positive charges are distributed throughout the earth at any given time.

Being electrically neutral, earth is considered to be at zero potential and establishes a convenient reference frame for voltage measurements.

Noting that voltmeters read only the difference in potential between two points, absolute measurements can be made by using earth as a reference.
A true earth ground, as defined by the National Electrical Code, physically consists of a conductive pipe or rod driven into the earth to a minimum depth of 8 feet.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=86932&highlight=grounding
Also if you want a definitive reference Eustance Soares - Book on Grounding
Max.

Attachments

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This is usually the equivalent as Chassis common as shown in the PDF.
IMO if the common is not actually at earth ground, any of the other symbols should be used and preferably identified in some way, especially if there are two or more systems integrated together with power supplies that are isolated from each other.
The various supply positives are usually readily identified +5v +24v etc, but the commons rarely get the same treatment for some reason?.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here are 4 ground symbols. I tend to use the second one as circuit ground because I can write a number in it to signify different circuits. I use the first one for Earth ground and the third one as chassis ground. I think the fourth one is a European style.

Attachments