Power Cord retainer insert tips needed

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I'm rewiring a vacuum cleaner today, and I'm having difficulty getting the little thru hole cor retainer thru the hole.

I squeezed it, with the cord inside, in my vice, and that looked like it was going to work, but then it didn't.

I don't have a good grip with my right hand so I've tried surgical clamps. and tiny needle nose pilers. I even applied a little grease. no good.

I looked on Ebay for a tool, and on Youtube as well, but I'm not sure what such a tool would be called.

This isn't the first time I've struggled with these little wrap arounds, so if there is a tool, I would buy it.

If theres a trick, I will ty it.

As always, thanks for your help.

Gary

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
The one I have is relatively small, too small for pliers.

I will try my needle nose vice grips.

Thanks

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Okay,
Here is what worked.
One larger surgical clamp East - West, on the larger outside shoulder.
One smaller surgical clamp, Norh - South, near the base, where it enters the thru hole in the vacuum cleaner. It finally started into the thur hole, then I tapped on the back end of it, and it popped right in.

Thanks for your input.

If I have to do this more frequently, I'm going to have to spring for a kit.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The key to those wire grip/strain reliefs is proper sizing. They are made with different internal diameters(ID) to fit the wire. The grip ID allows the wire insulation to be compressed and then expand after insertion in the hole of the appliance. An improper ID will either not allow the compression or will be too loose when inserted.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I've used modified ViseGrips to reinstall Hayco "strain reliefs". Oxymoron...because the strain relief is the point where the cord jacket takes the most strain, and usually cracks. :( I've picked up cheap, small, ViseGrip knock-offs and ground a curved channel in the end of both jaws. This helps keep the jaws centered on both parts of the strain relief, and gives you a lot of force.

I never use those feed throughs on anything new. :)

Ken

Attachments

Last edited: