Power Ball = $150M, did you buy a ticket?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I found a $2 bill in an old wallet Sunday. I used it to buy a lottery ticket. Maybe I'll be lucky twice in one week.

By the way, if you haven't bought one yet, you may as well save your money. The cashier told me, "Here is your winning number." So, I'm good.

Last edited:

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Hey I already bought my winning ticket for the European lottery today. Sadly she did not say that it were my winning numbers and short story short.

It wasn't. :mad:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So, since my cashier said, "here are your winning numbers" last week, I realized that she may have meant those numbers were the winning numbers but she didn't clarify which week they will win. So I played the same numbers again.

Somebody has to win, right?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'm tempted to play the most frequent numbers, the numbers long overdue, and three random sets.

The real question is ... will it hit a billion dollar jackpot tonight?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm tempted to play the most frequent numbers, the numbers long overdue, and three random sets.

The real question is ... will it hit a billion dollar jackpot tonight?
The claims on the news are funny. One channel reports that you have better odds of winning with an Easy a Pick because 70% of winners have been Easy Pick. Another channel reports that people bother to select specific numbers for 30% of the tickets sold. The first station needs to hire a statistician, or at least a high school graduate.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I typically play five sets of numbers ... with the multiplier. Who knows. If I win the big one, and I always select the cash option, I'll be looking for some hunting land and a new pickup, and, and, and, oh well, let's not get too excited. :)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You just doubled your odds (assuming your second ticket doesn't exactly match your first).
Mathematically, you're correct. In reality, the difference in the odds between one and two tickets is so really really very very very tiny so as to be practically the same as just buying one. Now if one were foolish to spend millions on tickets, you might practically increase your odds.

On the other hand, the practical difference between one ticket and no tickets approaches really really very very very big (word choice here purely for amusement value :rolleyes:).

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I recall reading that when these big draws come around, that a lot of people and investment companies buy thousands of tickets. Some investors and gamblers even go 50k.

I believe I read on that last one, one foreign group bought over 100k.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Big time players will play all conceivable numbers if the return is right.

Otherwise, their people figure out the minimum to buy for a decent return.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Big time players will play all conceivable numbers if the return is right.

Otherwise, their people figure out the minimum to buy for a decent return.
We are getting close to those odds. 1:292M for a $900M payout.

It will cost $594M to buy all combinations to get your $900M. The risk comes if there is more than one winner.

The problem is that you need a high speed card writer to fill out 292M tickets.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
No big winner tonight. Some estimate the jackpot by Wednesday will be near 1.4 billion. I did manage to win $24 on a ticket last night, so I lost 1 dollar on my tickets.

Well, I'll be playing Wednesday. We will see how it goes as it probably will be a madhouse with that unreal jackpot.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Good news!

I got an email last night from Nigeria. Due to a typo, my numbers were all reversed, so the lawyer said I could get the correct numbers for Wednesday's drawing for half price...5 grand...so I sent him a money order last night before the sucker could change his mind. That means that for a total investment of only $15,000, I will win $1,500,000,000; apparently, the lawyer can't add and subtract. I am sooo smart.