Power Balance Bracelet Article

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
They are like the copper bracelets that were supposed to be good for arthritis (John Wayne may be seen wearing one in many of his later movies). It's a fad and will be found not to be effective - unless from placebo effect.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Second on the placebo effect. Copper, magnetic beads, and various bracelets go through their fads, and will show up again, no doubt.

Link above doesn't work for me, gives me "oops, page not found".

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Total snake oil.

When faced with something like this ask yourself: "If it really works why isn't the medical community using it?"

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Thing is, placebo effects work. Even when they are known to be placebo's.
Sometimes a "prop" helps one get the mind over matter thing moving.

These change with the times, the last couple years have been the power balance thing, I think it is about time for the magnets to come back.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Small one probably can't hurt you but, big ones? something to think about, why are the operators of MRI machines in a separate shielded room from the patient and machine?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sure magnets are medically indicated, just not usually for humans. Ever hear of a cow magnet? Now, if you look like a cow, eat like a cow, and act like a cow, then maybe one of those magnets will help you.

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The MRI machine is in a separate room as it is very sensitive.
It will pickup noise from the computer and other electronic equipment.
The magnet is rather strong, as the force on a metal part will become about 10 times stronger as the distance is divided by 2.
There will happen sometimes accedents with MRI systems, like a cleaning machine that is drawn into the magnet.

Bertus