Potting Compound

tresguey

Joined Apr 22, 2013
My company is having me look for a similar potting compound to what we use so I figured this would be the perfect place to ask. We use Stycast 2651-40FR currently. This compound is a bit pricy so we are looking for something similar. Any help would be great.

tresguey

Joined Apr 22, 2013
I have used polyester resin from US Composites for a lot of my projects. The price is right for just over $100 for 5 gallons. But our EE says no way.

tresguey

Joined Apr 22, 2013
Our EE has a few screws loose. I have tried to ask he just said it must be fire resistant and capable of handling 250°F

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've used the black potting from MG^^. It was pretty badass. Not advertised to be good for 250F but their "High temp epoxy" is advertised for 392F. I wouldn't hesitate to try it. I

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Our EE has a few screws loose. I have tried to ask he just said it must be fire resistant and capable of handling 250°F
Right. Styrene is flammable in nearly every form. At least you have more information now. And, most EE's have a few screws loose. That's why we gather in nerd zones like this website. :D

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My company is having me look for a similar potting compound to what we use so I figured this would be the perfect place to ask. We use Stycast 2651-40FR currently. This compound is a bit pricy so we are looking for something similar. Any help would be great.
What physical / electrical / chemical properties do you need?

What properties of Stycast 2651-40FR can you live without?

If none, there are generally no cheap alternatives while still achieving specified flame retardancy and dielectric strength. You can use BONDO or anything else that hardens but one batch may have different dielectric properties than another since it is an off-label application and not specified.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Bondo is a form of styrene. Has anybody found out if it burns?
I have only applied Bondo, never found out if it burns.
I'll ask my nephew. He plays with body work more than I do.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Bondo is a form of styrene. Has anybody found out if it burns?
I have only applied Bondo, never found out if it burns.
I'll ask my nephew. He plays with body work more than I do.
I was trying to be sarcastic about trying any random paste (including the aforementioned bondo) that is not tested and specified for an application - potting. The Henkel (formerly Loctite) product he is using is expensive for a reason, it is the product development and ongoing quality testing of the manufacturers incoming raw materials and finished product.

-------

Note: BONDO is a polyester resin (like most Fiberglas resins). It is blended with fillers like mica, milled glass and has adhesion promotion additives to improve adhesion to steel. This is not intended as a potting compound. The adhesion promotors will likely allow conduction at higher temps and voltages - enough to allow heating of the bondo. Then again, it depends what you are looking for...

Last edited: