Portable Generator-Please Help

kwinn

Joined Nov 4, 2010
Hope someone here has an idea on this,I am at a loss.I have a power pro 2200 watt generator, rated at 1800 watts continuous and 2200 peak.When I plug in and turn on a load(about 1200 watts),the power cuts out and then comes back on in about 10 seconds.The circuit breaker does not trip,does it every time.Just bought the generator,works fine with a smaller load,seems like some kind of thermal cut out but couldn't find anything that looks like a thermal switch.TIA for any help or suggestions.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Cant realy see why it would stop puting power out for 10sec, unless there is a problem with the AVR unit. Since you say you only just bought it i would be returning it as its obviously faulty. Daryl

Attachments

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009
What is the 1200W load you are applying?

Many types of loads have a high initial power requirement - much in excess of their continuous rating.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Many types of loads have a high initial power requirement - much in excess of their continuous rating.
Correct. This is referred to as "surge" current. The 2200 watt peak rating on your generator refers to the maximum surge current that the generator can supply, but it can supply it for only a very brief period of time. If your load exceeds the surge capability of your generator, the generator may have a self-protection feature that disables the output until the surge requirement subsides.

All equipment with inductive motors has high surge requirements, and perhaps the most difficult task for any generator is to power an air compressor. As others have asked, what are you trying to power with your generator?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
In addition to what 1200W load is being added, is your generator an inverter based design (engine varies speed with load), or a constant RPM type?

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
If its a Powerpro 2200 as quoted its not an inverter type, its a AVR & brush type. These type Gennys if you overload them will keep trying to supply power untill either the circuit breaker trips or something burns out.

kwinn

Joined Nov 4, 2010
Thanks for all of the replies.The generator is not an inverter.The load is a hand held pipe threader.Does the avr have a self protection feature built in to it that would reset automatically after a few seconds?Wierd thing is that the circuit breaker doesn't trip.Wouldn't you think it would trip if the load was to high?It is a used generator that is about 3 years old but hardly been used much.
Thanks for all of your help and ideas.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Hi Kwinn, Having rebuilt an AVR on a simmilar type generator generaly when they are overloaded the motor realy works hard & the voltage will drop but not drop out completely & if continued in overload the circuit breaker will trip. What size motor & current draw or watts is the pipe threader? Daryl

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Can you hook up a string of light bulbs? Those should provide a steady non inductive type load that will tell you if it is the generator or the hand held threader causing the drop outs.

kwinn

Joined Nov 4, 2010
The threader is 1200 watts.I will try plugging in a different load and see what happens.It has to be something in the generator that automatically resets because it only cuts the power out for 5- 10 seconds then comes back on.The engine on the generator doesn't even get a chance to start working hard before it cuts out.Works fine with a smaller load like battery chargers for cordless tools etc.I don't see any GFI protection and like I said,the circuit breaker for the receptacle on the generator doesn't trip.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The threader probably has a hefty start-up current, as it's an inductive load.

Motors generally draw around 5x-8x their rated current for start-up current. It's seen by the supply almost as a dead short. The breaker is likely rated as a slow-blow type; it would take a really massive overcurrent to trip it in short term.

kwinn

Joined Nov 4, 2010
So if the circuit breaker is not tripping, then what would be cutting the power out?Does the voltage regulator have overload protection that would do this?I amped the threader on start up ,it is 18 amps,but just for a second or two,then it drops to about 6 amps when running.
Even at 18 amps it is still just under the 2200 watts surge rating of the generator.Something is cutting out then back in again after a few seconds.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
My guess is yes, the voltage regulator is sensing a potential overload situation and responding. It's very hard to read the instaneous power at startup of a large load and many generators are slightly overrated and/or overprotected.

whatsthatsmell

Joined Oct 9, 2009
Even at 18 amps it is still just under the 2200 watts surge rating of the generator.Something is cutting out then back in again after a few seconds.
18 amps X 120 volts = 2160 watts, so you're very close. Smaller generators have a tendency to be a bit optimistic in their power ratings.