Portable Gas Analyser for Petrol Vehicles

bestproj

Joined Jul 19, 2012
Dear Sir,

I’m doing a project regarding Low Cost Portable Auto-mobile Gas Analyser for Petrol Vehicles. I wish to measure the hydrocarbon, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide levels and temperature and RPM of the engine. I would like to know what sensors to use and if anyone has a circuit diagram this would be very much appreciated.

1) Should I use Infrared type gas sensor ?
2) If u know any link to get proper idea about this please let me know.

Thank You,
bestproj.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Depending on what you mean by low cost, I'd say this is impossible. Gas sampling analysis is a not a simple task. Reverse-engineering existing technology is your best bet. You could waste a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

Engine conditions, rpm and temp, are relatively easy and are already available in many cars using built-in sensors.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sure you can use the Dynament sensors. These are single gas sensors. You will need multiple units to measure all the gases required.

You would be advised to purchase the OEM board to go with the sensor.

Is this a class project or a commercial application?

bestproj

Joined Jul 19, 2012
Dear Sir,

First many thanks for your reply.

I'm an undergraduate in electronic engineering. I have an idea to build up a device to know whether we need to tune-up the engine or not at home and also build up a portable emission gas analyzer.

1) So, Do u think is this not reliable ?
2) I need to calibrate HC in ppm level, I think Dynament sensor can't approach that level.
3) Should I need to calibrate all HC,CO2,CO gases to see weather engine tuned or not?

I must be thanful to u if u will kindly reply...

bestproj

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As a project engineer, learn to quantify your design specifications.

What are your detection ranges for CO, CO2, HC, NO?
What are the resolutions?
What is your definition of Low Cost?
What is the definition of "engine requires tune up"?