Poor AVR symptoms

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
1- Does any one knows how to identify poor AVR, does faulty AVR is still work or maintain the current?

2- Sometimes it will dead but still works. How we can check the efficiency of the AVR through sensitive devices like pc or tv?

Any one who knows the characterstic of poor AVR

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
1- Does any one knows how to identify poor AVR, does faulty AVR is still work or maintain the current?

2- Sometimes it will dead but still works. How we can check the efficiency of the AVR through sensitive devices like pc or tv?

Any one who knows the characterstic of poor AVR
I guess you caught SgtWookie in a moody moment. Hence the somewhat sarcastic answer. But to avoid confusing be very careful with any abbreviation then communicating in forums. The best thing is to avoid it. Then you say AVR I am quite sure you refer to an Atmel AVR microcontroller. But on the other hand AVR could be anything.
To stay on topic. As a general rule it is very hard if not impossible to predict how a failed IC will behave, other than it will malfunction. A microcontroller may loose some I/O functions but still be able to execute code. Or it could fail and do nothing but draw so much current that it will overheat. Or draw no current at all.
For your second question I am not sure what you are referring to:confused:. Can you elaborate

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
I guess you caught SgtWookie in a moody moment. Hence the somewhat sarcastic answer. But to avoid confusing be very careful with any abbreviation then communicating in forums. The best thing is to avoid it. Then you say AVR I am quite sure you refer to an Atmel AVR microcontroller. But on the other hand AVR could be anything.
To stay on topic. As a general rule it is very hard if not impossible to predict how a failed IC will behave, other than it will malfunction. A microcontroller may loose some I/O functions but still be able to execute code. Or it could fail and do nothing but draw so much current that it will overheat. Or draw no current at all.
For your second question I am not sure what you are referring to:confused:. Can you elaborate
sometimes generator come along with poor AVR e.g at high RPM still you got the very abnormal voltage like current has got some cold fever.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
After some Googling going through many pages of Atmel AVR stuff. I found out that AVR may be an abbreviation for Automatic Voltage Regulator(AVR). Often mentioned then talking about generators. It would be nice if the OP could have informed about that. As good questions draw good answers
Note! Personal memo to myself. If you are not 100 % sure about what the OP is referring to. Remember to ask some control question. Else your answer may be complete off topic, and quite silly.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Or maybe Audio Video Receiver. You need to define an abbreviation at least once in an early post. You are not doing yourself any favors, nor does it make you sound smarter.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
sometimes generator come along with poor AVR e.g at high RPM still you got the very abnormal voltage
It appears the OP means Automatic Voltage Regulator. An erratic output could indicate excessive wear or poor contact between the brushes and slip rings.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
If it's one of those cheap Chinese-built backup generators we often see appearing by the truckloads around here after a big storm has knocked a lot of people off the grid they weren't very well regulated to start with. Good for light bulbs of devices that aren't too picky about voltage but not meant for much of anything else.

After all these are called emergency generators, you've got to spend some money if you want something of decent quality.

It's really a wonder what with all the generator posts how these people are getting on the internet to begin with, you'd think the phone &/or cable system would be down too.

I am currently sitting at my lappy looking at this stuff because I have a big problem withn a cheep genny that I over-use in the extreem.

My solar pannels are running the lappy, my mobile internet router and my wifes sewing machine, via an equilly cheeep 600w inverter, whilst putting a couple of extra amps int the batteries. so I will still be online when the sun gos down. :)

Not sure how anyone else dose it but that me ......

Al

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It was late, I was tired, and I had no idea what our OP was talking about.

It helps a great deal to define your acronyms at least once in your post, as so many acronyms have wildly diverse definitions that without some frame of reference, they are meaningless.

Without more information about your particular situation, it will be difficult to give a meaningful reply.

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
If it's one of those cheap Chinese-built backup generators we often see appearing by the truckloads around here after a big storm has knocked a lot of people off the grid they weren't very well regulated to start with. Good for light bulbs of devices that aren't too picky about voltage but not meant for much of anything else.

After all these are called emergency generators, you've got to spend some money if you want something of decent quality.

It's really a wonder what with all the generator posts how these people are getting on the internet to begin with, you'd think the phone &/or cable system would be down too.
Some chinese are highly qualified brand like Lifan, Loncin they are actually honda equivalent but comparitively cheaper.

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
It appears the OP means Automatic Voltage Regulator. An erratic output could indicate excessive wear or poor contact between the brushes and slip rings.
Any repair method or just to replace. does tension of the spring may cause any problems.
Also define brusless alternator are quiet efficient as compare to brush alternator??

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Replacement of brushes is the best route.

Any attempt to prolong the life of bad brushes will lead to unpredictable behavior and unknown failure time.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Inspect the brushes for glazing and pitting. Compare the lengths to that of a new one. Check the slip rings for a shiny smooth surface.

Why worry about a different sort of generator when this one may be repaired easily?

The brushes may not be the problem, either. How much use has it had and does the manufacturer give some sort of lifetime figure?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
With the exception of commercial units such as a Generac, most small portable generators I've seen are expected to run for about 500 hours and that's it.

rizwanahmed

Joined Sep 2, 2010
With the exception of commercial units such as a Generac, most small portable generators I've seen are expected to run for about 500 hours and that's it.
Actually this is theory by (generatorjoe) that 500 hours is the life. I did not agree on that in my opinion the life of gasoline geneset will go upto 3000 hours depending upon the usage. If u did not change the oil timely than it should only cover 500 hours.
http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/genfuel.html

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
It's just an average as with cars. You might expect a Mercedes to go for 100,000 miles with few problems or a Yugo to only go about 1000 miles until something breaks but as with anything your mileage may vary.