police flashing setup?

dragracekid

Joined Jun 5, 2011
I know Mr Marsden created a great setup for this but I'm going to b running it on 9 volts with only 2 red and 2 blue lights I was wondering what a good way to approach this would b all I really want is
Group 1 3 quick flashes
Half second pause
Group 2 3 quick flashes
Then repeat

So how could I do this. Would a 4017 and 555 setup be good and last a little while? On a regular battery?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You could do it this way, but you will need a bit extra with 3 flashes. The number of sequences go up.

1. Red on
2. off
3. on
4. off
5. on
6. off
7. off
8. Blue on
9. off
10. on
11. off
12. on
13. off
14. off
15. reset

The 9V is not a problem, but you would need to extend the number of counts (two 4017's) as shown. If you reduce the number of flashes, or use the schematic shown here with simplified driver circuitry (if you choose to go this route I will be glad to help), or you could use a µC if you can find someone to help you (I don't do µC like Arduino or Pic).

Last edited:

dragracekid

Joined Jun 5, 2011
I dont mind doing 2 flashes at all it would work just fine :) as for dual 4017s i have them and i have transistors i think i need but the electronics store is within walking distance :) so any help you can provide would be great thank you so much

dragracekid

Joined Jun 5, 2011
So just a quick question with that second as you said I can change the pattern with the diode but is it gonna be okay if I change the yellow to red I know it's a dumb question but I just had to ask

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'll redraw it to match what you said earlier when I get a chance. Basically you can set it up however you want. Just two colors of two LEDs is about as simple as it can get, most of the transistors are not needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

dragracekid

Joined Jun 5, 2011
when you get a chance that would be great thank you so much and i will try to figure out parts on my own i dont want to be completely useless im here to learn :)

dragracekid

Joined Jun 5, 2011
i got it up and running about 20 minutes ago and it works absolutely perfect i like the pots that changes the speed thank you very much for this it is a fun experience and hopefully people will enjoy it

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, you were peeking... :D

Here is the final schematic...

The LEDs are a bit overdriven with a fresh battery. However, 9V batteries drop fast to 7V, so it is balanced for that.

Last edited:

dragracekid

Joined Jun 5, 2011
I got two questions
1. If I change r2 and r3 they will b a bit dimmer right?
2. If I want three blinks I add another's lead to the outs for each color and make the corrisponding risistor changes correct?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
R2 and R3 control current to Q1 and Q2. They can make it dimmer, but not in a good way. If you want the LEDs dimmer use R4-R7.

If you want three blinks per side this schematic will not work, as there aren't enough sequences (explained in post #2). For 3 flashes per side you would need another 4017, to add to the number of possible sequences. I also showed an alternate way to do it with 3 555s and 6 or so transistors in post #4.

The number of LEDs is just what lights, not much more.

dragracekid

Joined Jun 5, 2011
Thank you very much for your help I may dim it a little but I'm fine with 2 flashes I will post again if I have problems thanks again :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Referring to the schematic in post #9:
Don't ever let R1 get to zero ohms. It will burn the timer chip. Add a resistor in series with R1 to keep the pot circuit from going to zero ohms.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You can actually get three blinks per side with the post #9 schematic by adding a diode from U2 pin 10 to the junction of CR1/CR2/R2, and another from U2 pin 11 to the junction of CR3/CR4/R3. There will not be a pause between the red and blue flash anymore though. However, it's very inexpensive and simple to try the change to see if you like it.