Point on wave switching

Julius

Joined Aug 10, 2006
Hi! Everyone.

I am doing a project on point on wave switching of an inductive load i.e. a transformer (220/110V; 275VA), begining with single phase but would like to import the solution to a three phase system and a higher rated transformer.

I am attempting to prevent high in rusuh currents at the moment of energization. The optimal point of energizing the transformer assuming zero residual flux is at supply votage peak, at this point the induced current is at zero crossing. As a result, the transformer core does not saturate.

I have considered using a light dimmer circuit to control the poinf of switching. The hurdle is that I will typically not supply full power to the tranformer.

I also need to add a zero detector circuits, to be able to track voltage peak.

I am struggling with intergration of the circuit. I would appreciate any advice or maybe a different approach to the project.

Julius

Julius

Joined Aug 10, 2006
Hi! I apologise for that.

It is a 220/110V; 275 MVA single phase transformer. I am hoping to duplicate the solution to a three phase system, with the necessary changes, and even use the solution for higher rated transformers.

Julius

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Hi! I apologise for that.

It is a 220/110V; 275 MVA single phase transformer. I am hoping to duplicate the solution to a three phase system, with the necessary changes, and even use the solution for higher rated transformers.

Julius
Are you really, really sure its 275 Mega VA at 220V? That´s something like 1250kA :eek:, and then there is no solution for your problem, beacuse there´s no DIY device on Earth that could safely switch such current, and of course it is not a solid-state relay or SCR.

Even 275kVA seems quite high, and 275mVA is too low, so I can´t imagine what you meant. Maybe just 275VA?

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
Hi,

I also need to add a zero detector circuits, to be able to track voltage peak.
And that's how you do it.
When you get the zero cross signal you only need to time 5ms for 50Hz (~4.2ms for 60Hz) to the peak - the actual time will be a bit shorter, due to your zero cross circuit needing to pass the zero (slightly) before it can react, but that will be a steady delay. A simple monoflop should do.