Pneumatic door opener project

mikeonavtx

Joined Jan 5, 2013
OK, I'm new to the world of electronics and stuff but i want to build a wireless pneumatic door opener for my shed. (if you have a garage, does it have an automatic opener?) My first question is how complicated or simple is this going to be. :confused:
the system should be able to control 2 doors independently.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Pneumatic is going to need a supply of compressed air, most garage door openers use a motor and gearbox drive system, usually battery backup DC with mains charging.

abhaymv

Joined Aug 6, 2011
I googled your querry, and the following result appeared:
http://www.clippard.com/downloads/PDF_Documents/Intro_to_Pneumatics.pdf

See page 29, and you may want to glance the entire pdf. It may be useful. It deals with the basic model, if you're not familiar with it.
The way I understand it, it's more about valves and stuff, than actual electronics. But I could be wrong. If your question is about the wireless part, it could be complicated depending on what you pick. RFID? IR?

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
OK, I'm new to the world of electronics and stuff but i want to build a wireless pneumatic door opener for my shed. (if you have a garage, does it have an automatic opener?) My first question is how complicated or simple is this going to be. :confused:
the system should be able to control 2 doors independently.

What type of doors are you going to use? Steel? Overhead?

Wooden doors are much heavier.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Pneumatic is going to need a supply of compressed air,

...or you can use the kind that has it's own supply of compressed gas, like the ones that open a car's rear hatch. You would have to close it manually, which recharges the cylinder for the next opening. Then, you only need to activate a 'latch' that will allow the gas cylinder to open the door. It you're interested in automatic opening and manual closing, then that might do the trick.