PN junction diode

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ee student, Nov 6, 2006.

1. ee student

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    hi
    i am new here, and i just want to ask, if i have a PN junction doped with Na=2*10^17 on the p side
    how to calculate the hole density/
    thank you

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I like some others may be a touch confused here; Na is the volume density of donors (in this case holes) per unit volume.

Are you trying to calculate the total charge on the p-side?

If so:

Q = q*Na*wp

Where:

Q = total charge
    q = 1.6e-19
    Na = 2e17
    Wp = the width of the p-side of the PN junction.

Dave

3. SohailAnwares

Feb 11, 2018
    What is PN Junction (Diode):
    A PN Junction Diode is a two-terminal semiconductor device. It’s made up from a small piece of semiconductor material (usually Silicon), it allows the electric current to flow in one direction while opposes the current in other direction. In the Forward Bias, the diode allows the current to flow in uni-direction. On the other hand, when the diode is reverse biased it opposes the electric current to flow. A PN Junction Diode is a semiconductor device with two opposite region such as (P-type region and N-type region).

• The P-region is called as the anode and is connected to a positive terminal of a battery and it has Holes in majority carrier and electrons in minority carrier.
    • The N-region is called as the cathode and is connected to the negative terminal of a battery and it has Electrons as a Majority carrier while holes as Minority carrier.
    When the P-type semiconductor material is joined with the N-type semiconductor material, a P-N Junction is formed, hence resulting P-N Junction is also called as a P-N Junction Diode.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018
  4. ArakelTheDragon

Nov 18, 2016
    I also think you should put more explanations and maybe dimensions in what you are posting.

5. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    from 2006
    LOCK IT UP!

simozz and spinnaker like this.
  6. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

And his only other post is to answer a 1 year old thread. Why do people answer ancient threads?

7. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Google pulls them up when you search for stuff.

8. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

The other thread is totally unrelated. Well except it being about electronics.