Pm winch motor as windmill generator

v8ccc

Joined May 3, 2010
I would like to know if a 12volt or 24volt permanent magnet winch motor could be used as a generator for a windgenerator assembly?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Generally, DC motors can be used as generators, however, it would be good to post more detail about the motor.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You would really be much better off using an automotive alternator. They generate power over a much wider RPM range than a DC generator does, let alone a device that was designed to be a motor rather than a generator.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
But using an automotive alternator, you will have to have the windmill spin atleast a minimum of 500 RPM's to get any usable power out of it........ Using a DC PM motor that is low in RPM's would be much better for a micro generator windmill.....

My .02

B. Morse

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You should use BOTH.

Ok... use a dual blade design, with a automobile alternator on one set of blades and the PMDC on the other.

BAM. Best of both worlds. ..maybe.

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
An automobile alternator is designed to work at a fairly high speed. Also, it requires a DC current in the rotor to energise it. So as not to waste power in your application, this energising current needs to cut-in only when the alternator is going fast enough to generate useful power. If you have to have gearing or drive belts to increase the alternator speed then these also waste power.

For wind turbines, low-speed permanent magnet alternators are used. It is possible to home-build these. See:-

http://www.otherpower.co.uk/PMG Cojnstruction/pmg_alternator_const1.html

This is something that one day I will also have a go at. Just need the time and the money!