pls tell me about - LCD vs LED

matramlee

Joined Dec 11, 2012
i want to know which are more brighter??
LCD or LED

which one are more current??
LCD or LED

and what are the other comparison between LCD and LED

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
LCDs take very little current - microamps.
LEDs take more current - milliamps.
LCDs are not bright. They depend on reflected light or back lighting.
LEDs are bright.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We have an Electronics Chat forum for these kind of question, I am moving your thread to it, where it belongs.

JMac3108

Joined Aug 16, 2010
Watch out ... it seems as if some TV manufacturers are marking their TVs as LED when they really mean LCD with LED backlight.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Watch out ... it seems as if some TV manufacturers are marking their TVs as LED when they really mean LCD with LED backlight.
Important keyword: Look for OLED, which means the display emits light to make the colors, like a plasma display. Organic LED, they are printed on film similar to the way LCD are, but cost much more.

Right now only phone and some notebooks have OLED displays, you can tell by being able to read them in full sunlight.

"LED" TVs simply mean the backlight has been changed to LEDs, rather than florescent tubes. The display is still shown via LCD.

JMac3108

Joined Aug 16, 2010
"LED" TVs simply mean the backlight has been changed to LEDs, rather than florescent tubes. The display is still shown via LCD.
Yep. But not everyone knows that. Some people think that an "LED" TV is different than an "LCD" TV. Its good marketing by the TV manufacturers, but not entirely ethical, in my opinion, to mark them this way knowing that it implies something that will confuse people.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
Yep. But not everyone knows that. Some people think that an "LED" TV is different than an "LCD" TV. Its good marketing by the TV manufacturers, but not entirely ethical, in my opinion, to mark them this way knowing that it implies something that will confuse people.

Yes u r right
the Florescent Tubes takes much more current then the LED

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
aye, well practically all 'LED' tvs are just LCD with LED back lighting,

authentic OLED or the like sets are not common.

yes the technology to manufacturer the OLED is currently very expensive the TV manufacturer are planing to bring out the OLED TV only after 2014-2015 like SONY , LG , Toshiba , SAMSUNG etc. (as pet the Times of INDIA News Paper)

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
All the cell phones I have seen have a backlighted LCD display that cannot be seen in daylight or sunlight. I would like to see one that can be seen in daylight and sunlight.
I have seen advertising screens with extremely bright LEDs that can be seen in sunlight and they are dimmed at night and on coludy days.

Are the OLED screens on new cell phones dimmed when the ambient light is not bright?

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
All the cell phones I have seen have a backlighted LCD display that cannot be seen in daylight or sunlight. I would like to see one that can be seen in daylight and sunlight.
I have seen advertising screens with extremely bright LEDs that can be seen in sunlight and they are dimmed at night and on coludy days.

Are the OLED screens on new cell phones dimmed when the ambient light is not bright?
Sir,
all the cellphones ( Maximum ) LCD's are equipped with the LDR on the LCD panel it self and the function of Light and Dark is controlled with it

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009

The Motorola Droid Razr, and I think the Samsung S3 use OLED displays. There are some very bright LCD screens around, but they suffer a lot with black levels being grey.

OLED notebooks are now in production but the price tag is scary, and the size isn't > 17", usually 16".