Pls Help for build cable tester

sathikul

Joined Apr 14, 2014
I would like to create a circuit for testing the cable (with 3 point connector). My requirement is 3 LED (for show the each cable point is OK) and a buzzer for all the 3 point OK. Please help me with some ideas (sathikul @hotmail .com ) is my email. Thank you very much.

sathikul

Joined Apr 14, 2014
Please assume the button as wire (cable for testing). I thinking if anybody could help me using the 4073 AND gate....

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You could use an opto in series with each LED, parallel the output emitters of the opto and feed the base of a transistor suitable to supply the buzzer.
Max.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Or feed the led to the AND gate instead of ground. Connect the output of the AND gate to the buzzer. When all three LED are ON, the inputs to the AND gate are ON, then the output of the AND gate is ON.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Max - I'd like to see a schematic. Paralleling the optos outputs doesn't make sense to me.

Shteii01 - Same request. I don't understand how the input of the 4073 can sink current to light the LEDs? And when there is a cable break, won't the input float?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Shteii01 - Same request. I don't understand how the input of the 4073 can sink current to light the LEDs? And when there is a cable break, won't the input float?
Good points.

I looked at TI 3 input AND gate ic. If I am reading datasheet right, the inputs of the AND gate can sink uA. So typical 15-20 mA coming out of LED is too much. Use buffer between led and AND gate?

As far as float condition. Use pull down resistors on the AND gate inputs.

But that brings another question. Can AND gate output source necessary current to get the buzzer buzzing? Off hand I think not. So probably use transistor as a switch.

sathikul

Joined Apr 14, 2014
I try this circuit using simulator, but please comment.

Please assume the switch as the cable connector (If the cable is broken then it open & If the cable is OK then it closed).

Thank you for your comments.

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Sathikul - what happened in the simulator?

Max - I tried to draw a schematic and write a truth table for the circuit as I see it described by you. I only included two pair, as it can easily be generalized to 3 or more pairs. As hopefully you can see too, I don't think that the NOR function is what is required here. Please explain where I am going wrong.

A basic drawing of the circuit follows:

The output of the paralleled optos is negated (~b1) by the transistor driving the buzzer.

For the truth table for this circuit, I get:

This sounds when all cable pairs are bad. It sounds the buzzer when all pairs are good OR if some of them are bad. I believe the OP wanted to buzzer to sound if only all pairs are good.

I am an intermediate hobbyist, so please explain where I might be wrong.

Thanks, Max.

Attachments

Last edited: