Please verify shield to ground connection (diagram included)

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
HI I have a sensor with 4 wires and a shield wrapping inside the transmission cable. 2 of the 4 wires are power and ground (12V and 0V), the other 2 are signal (0~5V). Please take a look at the diagram to see where I should connect the shield to ground. Thank you!

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Hi,
I'd just tie it where it's convenient, honestly...to the enclosure (provided it is also grounded), OR at the PCB. Not sure what you're 'sensing', but for audio applications, any shield ground seems to work just fine. One end of the shield gets grounded only, of course!

If you have any 'noise' issues, move the ground elsewhere, but I don't think you would. Generally, I try to keep the grounds in a "star" configuration, so that would mean placing it where the power supply grounds....hope this helps, good luck!

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
the most 'convenient' would be to short the shield to the ground wire at the cable connector (on the sensor side, where Q1 indicates).

But I think the general recommendation is to tie the shield to the pcb digital ground (where Q2 indicates). Is that correct? Is there a difference?