please tell me what is it ? is it a capacitor or a crystal ?

ranatungawk

Joined Oct 30, 2008
I’m repairing a capacitance meter. I found an item on the PCB, which is marked in red-circle in these pictures.. please tell me what is it ? is it a capacitor or a crystal ?(please see two pics )

Attachments

ranatungawk

Joined Oct 30, 2008
thanks for replying !! no any marks! its a small item (pls compare the size with the resister and caps in that pics) what is the value S213 say ?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It is hard to say what the S213 means.
Do you have a schematic of the board?
As far as I can see it contains a hex inverter and two counters.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That was my impression, but I wasn't sure enough to say so. It could be a different frequency very easily.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
In association with a pair of counters (4518s), a hex inverter (4069) a couple of small caps (22pF and 47pF), my bet is on a crystal too.

Ken

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Gee, I wonder what happened to my reply? This thread disappeared for awhile yesterday after I replied, and now it's gone? Server crash, perhaps?

I'm in agreement with Ken; the 22pF and 47pF caps in conjunction with the resistors and close proximity of the 4069 hex inverter suggest a typical crystal oscillator drive circuit.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If you have an oscilloscope power up the device and measure the crystal. If the meter is not totally fried the crystal should oscillate, giving you your frequency.