Please talk me out of this $99 machine learning board.

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
So, I got the fan installed without issue. Well, I did not have any of those screws and rather than go searching Home Depots and the like, I decided to buy a small collection of M3s and the 25mm fit ok - maybe they protrude a bit at the bottom (top of the heat sink) but I don't know why that would be a problem. 23mm would probably be ideal.

You need to use sudo jetson_clocks to turn it on (need to have that going on boot up) and sudo nvpmode1 -m 0

On to the WiFi card. Installed with absolutely no problem, except, those freaking &^%#$ U.fl connectors, man I hate those things - they should be made illegal. I knew I had some antennae and I did, but one of the cables was (made) fubar - I ordered some more that should come in tomorrow. (thanks free Amazon Prime).

As weak as the signal is without any antenna, I logged in here and am using the Jetson and Ubuntu to post this (should appear particularly elite, no?).

Next up, I guess is TensorFlow and that means Python as well. Seems like a good way to get my feet wet - ever used it or heard of it?

On the other hand, I have a package coming tomorrow from Mouser and there is a chip I want to check out and then there are the 1872 other projects to work on.

So far, Jetson-wise, so good. I don't know yet how fast this is insofar as a relatively cheap and small Linux box, but it has some potential for that alone. As far as the "machine Learning", well, we will see.

Mark Hughes

Joined Jun 14, 2016
Yeah -- I played with the jetson_clocks thingy too. Essentially you are overriding the auto-scaling computational processing and forcing all cores to go full-tilt, which increases power consumption. With the standard implementation, the fan will ramp up as it sees increased core temperatures.

I did play around with the "Hello AI World" example and successfully found dogs in some images I downloaded of the internet.

My next goal is to get JetBot working.....but like you, I have various other projects that seem to take priority. I have designed and printed some custom motor mounts. Like everything I do -- completely overdesigned and utterly unnecessary.

Check out the Juypter notebooks -- you might find them interesting for messing around.

And I agree with you about the u.fl connectors. I had to pull out a microscope and two sets of tweezers.....eventually succumbing to percussive attachment.

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
And I agree with you about the u.fl connectors. I had to pull out a microscope and two sets of tweezers.....eventually succumbing to percussive attachment.
I declared a full-fledged war an those #@*& connectors on mine. I have used those connectors on another mini pci wifi board and, yes, they are difficult to manage, but I have managed them.

This is the one I have and what I am telling you is that those sockets to not fit, period, beginning, middle and end of story. I stupidly, bought a new set of cables and it was the same deal. I did take the time to inspect the old cables and straightened out the center pole contacts, but that is beside the point.

The current connectors simply do not have enough space for the outer lip on the cables to be positioned such that you can get enough depth to allow enough insertion of the center contact and clip the outer rim contact. I is simply not possible and I have proven that. So, I did what any rational person would do - I unsoldered them and pounded them in to dust (ok, I am being a little dramatic).

I ordered some more of the SMT connectors and I will try reinstalling them on the board. If that does not work, I will flatten the outside "flange" (I don't even know if that is the correct term, but it seems meaningful) and solder them on. If that does not work then I will solder some %$@# wire wrap onto the cables. One way or another, that board is getting connected to those cables and an antenna. What a PITA!

Mark Hughes

Joined Jun 14, 2016
Yeah -- that's frustrating. Sorry to hear it. Let me know how the resoldering goes. I did see on one of my connectors that the ring was splitting open....creating a shape like a letter p. I bent it back in with tweezers and applied much, much more force than I should have needed.