Please help, battery charger I may have ruined by accident

rvigeant

Joined May 31, 2023
Hello everyone, I need some help with a battery charger I may have ruined by accident. First off it an ultra power up240ac plus. It’s capable of working off a 110 or 220v plug with the flip of a switch, or dc power up to 18v. I occasionally use it on both ac voltages depending where I’m charging. I goofed up one day and plugged it into my 220 plug before flipping the switch to 220v, I thought I already had it set to 220, I was wrong. There was no pop,smoke,or obvious damage that I could see to the board. Now the charger doesn’t turn on with either voltage with the switch in the appropriate position. However the charger does still work on the dc input so I know the damage can’t be too detrimental. I’ll attach photos of the board. I’m relatively handy I can solder and identify some electrical components. No obvious fuses or anything that I can see. Anyone have an idea what crapped out? Or a way to troubleshoot what did? Thanks everyone.

Attachments

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I suggest you measure it to see if it is a short. If not, just for a test, solder wires to each side to connect a mains incandescent lamp in place of the fuse and see if the power supply starts up. If the lamp lights fully, there is some damage, but if the lamp flashes then glows dimmer, it should be ok to replace the fuse.

It is a good old trick to run a lamp in series with mains power supplies (with no load on the supply) while testing. It does save a lot of smoke by limiting the current.

rvigeant

Joined May 31, 2023
I suggest you measure it to see if it is a short. If not, just for a test, solder wires to each side to connect a mains incandescent lamp in place of the fuse and see if the power supply starts up. If the lamp lights fully, there is some damage, but if the lamp flashes then glows dimmer, it should be ok to replace the fuse.

It is a good old trick to run a lamp in series with mains power supplies (with no load on the supply) while testing. It does save a lot of smoke by limiting the current.
I see, that’s a great idea thanks!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
@rvigeant
We get close to a hundred new inquiries every day. Think how useful is a subject title "Please help".
Create a short subject title that summarizes the content of your thread.

rvigeant

Joined May 31, 2023
@rvigeant
We get close to a hundred new inquiries every day. Think how useful is a subject title "Please help".
Create a short subject title that summarizes the content of your thread.
Valid, although I just tried to edit and I couldn’t find where to do so. Also I tried to come up with something before posting but couldn’t think of anything relevant/short enough for a title. Did you have anything in mind? Something you think you draw more attention?

rvigeant

Joined May 31, 2023

Just got home from work, long day for me, but a quick continuity test on that fuse revealed it’s blown. Will pick up an incandescent light bulb holder tomorrow. Recommended wattage? I’ll pull the board out and solder up some leads and see what the bulb says.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
100W should be ok, or even 60W. This is just to see if you can get an output with no load on the supply, not to run with.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Valid, although I just tried to edit and I couldn’t find where to do so. Also I tried to come up with something before posting but couldn’t think of anything relevant/short enough for a title. Did you have anything in mind? Something you think you draw more attention?
How about:
"Help fixing blown make model battery charger"

You just need to add the make and model of the charger.

rvigeant

Joined May 31, 2023
100W should be ok, or even 60W. This is just to see if you can get an output with no load on the supply, not to run with.
It worked! Thanks so much for your help! I would’ve never known that was a slow burn fuse. Now I do. I soldered in a new fuse and the charger works good as new!