please help with my crossroad traffic light project...

D@rkL0rd

Joined Jun 22, 2014
hey guys,i was working on my traffic light project and i created circuit using 555 timer(mono-stable mode) and ic 4017 but when i run the simulation in circuit wizard only first led's light up .i don't know why is this happening please help...

Attachments

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Your circuit don't work because of your poor design. And you don't know how BJT work.
Are you sure that you need this OR gates ? Why you don't use diode as a OR gates?
Also why you connect all your LED's into BJT's emitter?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am not a 555 expert (there are many on here!), but your wiring looks "funny". Take a look at the bistable multivibrator circuit in Bill Marsden's blog. Particularly in regards to your connections to pins 2 & 6. Also the connection to pin 3 looks odd and no connection to pin 7 is required.

Please refer to the link to the blog above.

Also, I agree with Jony130 observations about your BJT usage.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to the forum!
i created circuit using 555 timer(mono-stable mode)
The mode should be astable (as in your sim schematic).
I'm not familiar with Circuit Wizard, but the sim runs ok in LTspice.
Are your logic and counter ICs configured for a 12V supply? (In LTspice they're configured for 5V by default).

Last edited:

D@rkL0rd

Joined Jun 22, 2014
Your circuit don't work because of your poor design. And you don't know how BJT work.
Are you sure that you need this OR gates ? Why you don't use diode as a OR gates?
Also why you connect all your LED's into BJT's emitter?
Sir can you please tell me how it should be .i admit i dont know much about BJT's .And according to my assignment project i have to use any one of the 7 logic gates...Thnx

D@rkL0rd

Joined Jun 22, 2014
Welcome to the forum!
The mode should be astable (as in your sim schematic).
I'm not familiar with Circuit Wizard, but the sim runs ok in LTspice.
Are your logic and counter ICs configured for a 12V supply? (In LTspice they're configured for 5V by default).
I am also not familiar with the circuit wizard but it it had all the ic's i needed so i used this one

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
1) how long do you want each pin to remain high? That is, what is the clock rate from the 555?
2) Is your 555 circuit generating that rate? You can wire it's output to an LED for a quick check.
3) Is the 4017 counting properly? If the clock rate is slow enough, you should be able to check with a DVM.
4) independent of the 4017 and the OR gates, can your transistor drive one LED? Take a look at this article on this site's e-book on using an NPN BJT as a switch. Hint: You are missing resistors.

Once these sub-circuits are known to be working, combine them.

The secret in building/debugging is to break the problem down into simpler problems and make sure they are working. IMHO, I see you saying "I've got this big problem and don't know what to do!" Well, break it into smaller problems.

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
The transistors are connected with no base resistors, leds to the transistor emitter not the collector and the 4017 has no reset on power on plus the 555 needs to be correctly wired

D@rkL0rd

Joined Jun 22, 2014
1) how long do you want each pin to remain high? That is, what is the clock rate from the 555?
2) Is your 555 circuit generating that rate? You can wire it's output to an LED for a quick check.
3) Is the 4017 counting properly? If the clock rate is slow enough, you should be able to check with a DVM.
4) independent of the 4017 and the OR gates, can your transistor drive one LED? Take a look at this article on this site's e-book on using an NPN BJT as a switch. Hint: You are missing resistors.

Once these sub-circuits are known to be working, combine them.

The secret in building/debugging is to break the problem down into simpler problems and make sure they are working. IMHO, I see you saying "I've got this big problem and don't know what to do!" Well, break it into smaller problems.
1-i want each pin to be high for 1 sec.
2-no it is not generating that rate ...please help here...i am a newbie here...
3-no the output is not given by the counter.
4-i am still working on that ...can you recommend the resistor values for driving 4 led's

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ya but whats the problem in this one...please help...and it was for bistable mode...i think we need a monosatable mode...
It's wired wrong...

Let me clarify something. You want a circuit based on a 555 that will generate a pulse once every second? Why do you think you need a monostable circuit?

Attachments