Please help! Recycling a 12V bed shaker!

7zr

Joined Sep 4, 2013
Hi everybody, thank you for clicking on this thread!

I have this 12V bed shaker device (aka bed vibrator) from an old and spoilt alarm clock. I would like to recycle it by creating a external device which can be activated by the audio signal from my handphone alarm.

Is it possible to run something like that? Appreciate your comments!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Bed shaker? Never head about it until I googled it. Cool.

So, tell more about this bed shaker. Does it plug into the alarm clock or is it hard wired? how many conductors in the cord? Do you have a brand & model number? does the bed shaker have it's own power circuit or is it driven by the alarm clock?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Ah brings me back to the days of coin operated bed vibrators in creepy motels...
If this rooms a rockin'..don't be a knockin'..

7zr

Joined Sep 4, 2013
It actually is a separate component from a sonic boom sonic clock. But the alarm itself is spoilt so hopefully I can recycle the bed shaker! Any idea how can I start this project?

Attachments

7zr

Joined Sep 4, 2013
Bed shaker? Never head about it until I googled it. Cool.

So, tell more about this bed shaker. Does it plug into the alarm clock or is it hard wired? how many conductors in the cord? Do you have a brand & model number? does the bed shaker have it's own power circuit or is it driven by the alarm clock?
Hi Strator,

yes it does connect to a alarm clock and I did attached a picture on the previous thread.

7zr

Joined Sep 4, 2013
Does the handphone alarm have any other signal than audio, e.g. light etc?
Max.
Hi MaxHeadRoom,

Unfortunately no, the reason is because once a earpiece is pluck into a handphone, the handphone alarm function will sent the alarm ringtone through your earpiece and not your handphone speakers. So I though maybe can use that as an input signal to activate the vibrator.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hi Strator,

yes it does connect to a alarm clock and I did attached a picture on the previous thread.
Yeah, I know it connects. I asked if it plugs in, or if it's hard wired. And I asked how many conductors are in the cord, and if its control/power circuit is located in the clock or the shaker. You didn't answer any of those questions. And you spelled my name wrong.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Ah brings me back to the days of coin operated bed vibrators in creepy motels...
If this rooms a rockin'..don't be a knockin'..
I had a student bring one in today, it connects to a smoke detector and is used by his nearly deaf grandmother.

7zr

Joined Sep 4, 2013
Yeah, I know it connects. I asked if it plugs in, or if it's hard wired. And I asked how many conductors are in the cord, and if its control/power circuit is located in the clock or the shaker. You didn't answer any of those questions. And you spelled my name wrong.
My apology Strantor!

The bed shaker is a separate device and it plugs into the alarm clock. it is ran by a 12V DC Male power plug. It doesn't have any control on the bed shaker itself.

Hope I have answered your question correctly! My apology once again!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My apology Strantor!

The bed shaker is a separate device and it plugs into the alarm clock. it is ran by a 12V DC Male power plug. It doesn't have any control on the bed shaker itself.

Hope I have answered your question correctly! My apology once again!
Ok. So the shaker has 2 cords; one for the 12 VDC power, and one for the signal from the clock? What does the plug look like on the one that plugs into the clock?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What about feeding the earpiece signal into a LM2907/2917 freq to digital conv, pick up a relay on the output?
Max.
Are we sure that it takes a contact closure to turn it on? I have no experience with these things; for all I know, it's supposed to shake with the music, and it already responds directly to an audio signal. If OP answers the question about the plug type from shaker to clock, and it turns out to be a headphone type jack, then that might be a clue?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Depends on the technology of the clock, although I would guess the easiest way it would have been implemented is the same relay that turns the radio power on (If radio alarm clock) would turn on the power to the bed?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That was going the route I mentioned in post #14.
It would detect the audio signal and set a relay on, there is a way to latch the LM2907 output as shown in the app notes.
You would have to put it together however, this is not off the shelf, AFAIK.
Max.

Last edited: