please help my ebike so lost. no power from controller to motor

clayclayjr

Joined Oct 4, 2012
Can anyone HELP PLEASE I have a bike/scooter that I can't troubleshoot.
Replaced controller $20 and twisht throttle $15 and $15 charger and bike $50 invested
Spec 36v 500w
The motor works when connected directly to battery but not from either controller. Small spark in connector when battery pluged in to controller read that normal because compacitots are charging. Big spark in connector when battery pluged directly to motor.
The controllers:
New:
From battery. 40v
Indicator port. 40v
charging port 40v
Switch lock port 40v key off cuts all other power 0v when on. But other ports powered same on both controllers
Brake port 0v
Blake light port 39.6v depressed brake 40v
Motor port 0v
Throttle port. Red black blue. Red to black 4.8v
red to blue 4.8
blue black 0v
Throttle when hooked up
Black to blue source volt very between 0.8v to full 3.6v

Old. Controler
From battery 40v
Indicator port 40v
Charging port 0v
Brake port. 4.8 depressed 0v
Haze two brake ports no brake light port
Motor port 0v
Throttle port red black blue
Red to black 4.3
Red blue 4.3
Black blue 0v
Twist grip verys 0.8v to full 3.5v
Battery test
All 40v
Each read 13.4
Brake does not have continuity but w depressed it do
I'm so lost please insites help

Newest things

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I laugh when I see an ebike creeping along the road. Why are they so slow? Dead battery or flat tire?
There are no mountains or steep hills in my city.

They should be as fast as everything else or be banned.

I forgot to say that the ebikes stuggle because they carry big fat overweight slobs.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Why are they so slow?
I know that the low end Vespa scooter (50cc gas engine) is governed down to prevent going more than about 35mph, maybe 40 going down a hill. It's for the safety of the rider, who is assumed to be a first-time rider.

I also know it doesn't take much power to go pretty darn fast. Even a human generating 300W or so can go 30 on a good bike. The Tour de France guys do that for days on end.

I don't know anything about e-bikes but I'm guessing they are designed to NOT allow the rider to hit 40 or 50. Liability.

clayclayjr

Joined Oct 4, 2012
It is a
Serengeti motorsports rhino
model ms-ss501
36v 500w 12ah
Manufactured 2010.08
I have a e-manual I downloaded and the wiring is very basic
It all goes into the controller I'm really not sure how to fix this. Its really confusing. Guess I'd also like to know. A. If I could use a say pedometer or a maybe light switch dimmer to conscription directly from battery to motor to very speed if I used a pedometer what kind do I need. Also if anyone else has ran into this problem is there a way to jumper the hall effect throttle to see if its the culprit eventhough its new I'm thinking maybe it is because it only goes .8v to 4.5/3.6 volts and not zero to full 5v .

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yeah, and the combined cost and size of the battery+motor+circuit go up with the cube of the average speed. Slow = light and cheap.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I laugh when I see an ebike creeping along the road. Why are they so slow? Dead battery or flat tire?
There are no mountains or steep hills in my city.

They should be as fast as everything else or be banned.

I forgot to say that the ebikes stuggle because they carry big fat overweight slobs.
The reason ebikes are slow is because the regulation (legal jurisdiction) limits the speed to 32km/h (20mph).

I have had people asked me if I can speed up their ebikes for them.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are two kinds of "scooters".
What you are seeing is an electric foot scooter
as compared with the other kind of pedal scooter.

An electric bicycle is also an "ebike".
btw, I ride an electric bicycle, electric scooter and an electric tricycle - not all at the same time.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
It is a
Serengeti motorsports rhino
model ms-ss501
36v 500w 12ah
Manufactured 2010.08
I have a e-manual I downloaded and the wiring is very basic
It all goes into the controller I'm really not sure how to fix this. Its really confusing. Guess I'd also like to know. A. If I could use a say pedometer or a maybe light switch dimmer to conscription directly from battery to motor to very speed if I used a pedometer what kind do I need. Also if anyone else has ran into this problem is there a way to jumper the hall effect throttle to see if its the culprit eventhough its new I'm thinking maybe it is because it only goes .8v to 4.5/3.6 volts and not zero to full 5v .
Is this the manual you have? http://www.salgspartner.no/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=284&Itemid=53

Post your manual here. If you have any wiring diagrams, post them too. Take a picture of the controller. What is the controller model. Post pictures of controller connections.

We need more info.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...I'd also like to know. A. If I could use a say pedometer or a maybe light switch dimmer to conscription directly from battery to motor to very speed...
The answer to that is a solid NO.

In theory you might be able to adapt another motor controller from some other device, but before going to this extreme you want to:
1. Diagnose the problem to be certain it is the controller and not something else, and
2. If so, determine that the existing controller cannot be repaired or replaced.

You've already shown that the motor works. If we can also eliminate the throttle and any other inputs to the controller, you will be closer to answering #1.