PLEASE HELP ME

rideths10

Joined Nov 9, 2005
Ok i just starting working for a friend that owns his own electric company.. i dont have any books yet but was told i can get all the info i need to study from here but i can not find it.. can someone please help me . i was told i have four days to learn three way and four way.. i am guessing they are both circuits. i have spent alot of time trying to find them. thank you for your time.. any help would be very greatful.

Nickolas

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I heartily suggest that you seek out an apprenticeship program that is accredited by your local building trades commission. Wiring a building that is not one's own residence incurs hefty liability.

What state are you in?

rideths10

Joined Nov 9, 2005
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Nov 10 2005, 11:46 AM
I heartily suggest that you seek out an apprenticeship program that is accredited by your local building trades commission. Wiring a building that is not one's own residence incurs hefty liability.

What state are you in?
[post=11577]Quoted post[/post]​
i am in CA

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Read this: CA certification Q & A

It amazes me that the three-ring-circuis which serves as Califonia's legislature has taken so long to catch up with the rest of the nation on this issue. CA has required liscensing for dog-groomers for years - but is only now requiring it for stuff that can make a building burn down if done incorrectly. Go figure.

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by richbrune@Nov 14 2005, 02:18 AM
I think what they're probably referring to is the installation of three way swiches, which allow you to control a light from either one of two switch locations in a room. I'll send a link
http://www.the-home-improvement-web.com/in...-way-switch.htm
[post=11640]Quoted post[/post]​
In the UK these would be called two-way switches, and I wonder why they're called 3-way in the US.

Is it because the switch has 3 poles or is there a third position that the switch can be set to?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The switch is a single-pole double-throw switch. As such, it has three terminals. Thus "three-way."

The link Rich Brune provided is accurate for those who wish to do this in their own home. Anyone wanting to do this in someone else's home should check local building codes. Most states require liscensing to work on other people's houses. Fines can be quite hefty.