Please help me with this boolean equation =(

was my question answered?

• Total voters

jAyEem

Joined Aug 12, 2011
i have my project to be pass very soon and i have this equation Y=A'B'C'D'+A'B'C'D+A'B'CD+A'BC'D+A'BCD'+AB'C'D'+AB'CD'+ABC'D'+ABCD';
Then i have tried to group them in according to there most common terms as possible, then leads me to Y=A'B'C'(D'+D):)+A'B'CD:)+A'B(C'D+CD'):(+B'D'(AC'+AC):)+ABD'(C'+C):);
after that, i tried to simplify all in parentheses such as D'+D=1,AC'+AC=A,C'+C=1. But then i have some problem with one of the equation which was in the parenthesis like A'B(C'D+CD') in the equation above...how will i then simplify that? can i ask some suggestions on how will i gruop my unsimplified to make it easier to simplify? or is A'B(C'D+CD')=?, can it be simplified? or is it =1 or =0?:confused: Well, i have this software tells me that according to my unsimplified equation, its minimized form should be like this Y=AD'+A'B'D+A'C'D+BCD'+B'C'D'; how will i come up with this? please i realyy need help..i want to pass this subject...

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Have you tried using K-map to solve the question? I do end up with a slightly different answer, but K-maps usually give you the simplest form possible as opposed to solving it using Boolean algebra.

jAyEem

Joined Aug 12, 2011
Have you tried using K-map to solve the question? I do end up with a slightly different answer, but K-maps usually give you the simplest form possible as opposed to solving it using Boolean algebra.
no, because in our class we are not allowed to use k-map for now. our instructor said that we should have a solution using boolean algebra... then can i use shannon theorem for A'B+AB'? or i just simply use an xor gate for my circuit? btw, im going to apply it on a circuit ;)

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
wasn't familiar with Shannon theorem up to now, I understand it is used to expand functions in hopes of eventally getting to min term?

For circuit implementation A'B+AB' is just an XOR, like you said, unless you are bound to implementing your circuit with only specific gates (instructors like to do that also)