please help me make a Transformer 'Wall-Wart'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Tempelman

Joined Jul 11, 2012
Please help me make a Transformer of 110-120 vac to 130 vdc (18.5 amps) to power a little 2.5 hp electric motor. I can't find anything like this online, so I'm seeking someone to make one for me, and it if works, we'll need about 330 million of them. $$$ anyone? RSVP Revd Andrew Tempelman, PhD Nashua NH
Please contact me at <SNIP>

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Just thinking out loud: We're in the lethal V range so post might be closed. A little high capacity for a Wall- Wart, would probably need a 30A service to operate; 240V might be better. Transformer could be 20 lb?? A switching PS might be better.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
A 2.5 hp motor implies almost 1900 watts. At 120 volts, that's a hefty load, and will probably overload an ordinary house circuit with its starting current. Making d.c. out of the incoming voltage is a matter for BIG diodes. A transformer is desirable to isolate from the source, but it will take lots of iron and a fair amount of copper.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm not sure what you call a wall wart and what I call a wall wart are the same things. Most wall warts are good for 1A, occasionally up to 5A max, and low voltage DC.

You are describing an appliance, a DC power supply, not a wall wart.

The comment about a switching power supply is a valid one, SMPS tend to be very efficient. Even for a SMPS, what you want is a bit much.

2400W is more than most wall outlets can provide. Their max is around 1750W, usually less. A little math goes a long way. This is not a minor draw, it will need it's own service line from the breaker. I have trouble believing you can not power a 2.5 HP motor from AC with much less current.

Reality can be a pain sometimes. This thread is moderately dangerous, I am going to leave it open for a little while to see what some of our other experienced users say, then lock it.

130VDC is not a safe voltage, especially with that current rating.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't think anyone here is going to take up the offer of big bucks from a person that doesn't know the difference between a wall wart and something that needs wheels on it.

Then there is the unlikely idea that 330 million homes will hire an electrician to add a dedicated circuit for it.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Please help me make a Transformer of 110-120 vac to 130 vdc (18.5 amps) to power a little 2.5 hp electric motor. I can't find anything like this online, so I'm seeking someone to make one for me, and it if works, we'll need about 330 million of them. $$$ anyone? RSVP Revd Andrew Tempelman, PhD Nashua NH
Please contact me at <SNIP>
Can you elaborate what this motor will be used for. I mean what do a normal household need 2.5 Hp motor for, and in particularly 330 million households

I think if the OP can not come up with a plausible explanation. The thread should be closed. I may be wrong but this has some odour of a overunity project. The World-Population was in 2010 estimated to 7000 millions people. So your estimate of 330 millions units. Would say about every 21.21 person on earth would need this thing
oh well!

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
And I thought T06 was crazy.
Of course then such words come from the AAC senior mad hatter. I take it as a mark of respect:D By the way what happened to the OP and his 330 millions units of high power Wall-Warts. Please come back!

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
he must have already found the super genius who can design a 2.4KW wall wart. Any of us would have been lucky to be selected, but unfortunately we were not. I can understand why he hasn't come back; given the gravity of the situation and how much we need billions of dollars, it must be easier to just disappear than to face us and give us the bad news.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@bertus: Why did you remove his personal information. Perhaps one of the spambots would have offered him the opportunity to have unlimited earning potential marketing 2kW wall-warts from the safety and comfort of his own home, at night, while he slept, with testimonials from people that made tens of thousands of dollars their first month.

Personally, I think he's earned all of those opportunities he can get!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
OP: If you wish to proceed you really need to convince us this is not an over-unity project (perpetual motion, free energy). Besides being a total waste of time and resources, such discussions are rightfully banned here.

For your own safety, you'll also need to convince us you could execute such a dangerous project with appropriate safety measures. The voltages, currents and power involved can be lethal.

And finally, I suggest you retract the absurd notion of buying even 330k units, let alone 330m. A credible question gets more and better feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.