Please help me in AC Dimmer Circuit Using Optocoupler.

Jigar_Patel

Joined Mar 23, 2012
Hello Guys,
I am working on a AC dimmer circuit using Optocoupler (MOC 3041 )and Triac(BT136 / BTA16 ).
but still I am not getting Required result.
The circuit works in simulator but doesn't work on PCB.
I am attaching details regarding it.

when I switch on AC supply the load remains ON although I do not provide +5V to Opto. The load should start only when I provide +5V DC.
Please help me regarding it.

Thank you
Jigar Patel

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You seem to have replicated the circuit as published in the datasheet, so it would probably work unless there is something "funny". Some thoughts:

1. Ground loop -perhaps snubber current gets into the LED circuit -you show both the LED circuit and the triac circuit sharing a common ground. If you float both diode leads and it doesn't come on when power is applied, then its probably something related t the LED wiring.

2. The Traic is turning on because of high dv/dt when the mains switch is thrown -there could even be some arcing. You can try adding a small inductance, say 100 uH, between the snubber and the load, and if that eliminates the problem, then you know you have a dv/dt problem. Similarly, you can try lowering R4 to see what effect that has.

3. The best bet is that something is not connected correctly. For example, are MT1 and MT2 swapped?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You may have zapped the LED if you have used a common ground for the LED and the mains voltage. Disconnect from the main. And measure the LED current.

Jigar_Patel

Joined Mar 23, 2012
Thnks bo..
I have used different ground of r both sections in my application but i mademistake in schematic. for DC +5V I have used -ve of Adaptor and for load I have used Neutral of AC supply.

@ bertus I have also tried the same circuit which you suggested.
perhapes first I tried that one and the came to the next schematic.

@ DickCappels
I have implemented this ckt for 4-5 times so chances of wrong connection is not there in my case. but still I will try Inductor bet. snubber and load.

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
You can't dim using an opto with a built-in zero-cross detector, but you should be able to turn it on or off.

You mention using an adapter to power the input side of the opto; measure its voltage as the no-load voltage is often much higher than the nominal voltage, in which case you may have blown the LED in the opto. Measure the LED current to see if it's OK.

Are you sure your triac is OK? They tend to fail shorted. Also, is the triac's metal tab connected to anything in your circuit? Internally, it's tied to MT2.

/mike

Jigar_Patel

Joined Mar 23, 2012
Thanks mike,
I checked My I/p part, it's ok. Led works fine and I am actually using this circuit for switching ON and OFF the AC load.
I replaced 4-5 Triacs and Metal cap is not connected anywhere still I am not getting required o/p.

Jigar

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
Try removing the resistor from gate to MT1 (R4 in your schematic). Also, post a picture of each side of your board.

What's your load?
/mike

ruben_gr

Joined Dec 16, 2016
Hi,
I'm testing this circuit and i have problems, too. If I connect a motor, works property but if I connect a LED bulb don't works in low dimming voltage. It happens that a i see flickering in LED. What is happing is that TRIAC is conducting where shouldn't be, but i don't know why.

here is the waveform:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Welcome to AAC!
Normally we discourage adding to an old thread that belongs to someone else but in this case, it seems to be a continuation of the original discussion so it may proceed.

Try disconnecting the LED input. If that fixes your problem, try a 390-510 ohm resistor across pins 1 and 2 of the opto.

And as discussed above, you can't make a dimmer with a zero-crossing opto.

Attachments

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It just seems odd that a triac would be controlling another triac
There are two versions, one for turning a triac on at zero crossing, the other for phase angle switching.
See Fairchild AN-3006.
The photo transistor does not switch all quadrants.
Max.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Look at the gate trigger requirements for triacs. You can definitely trigger a triac with DC. Most are readily triggered in three quadrants. Some are triggerable in four quadrants. Triggerng with another triac removes the need for a DC supply on the isolated side and removes problems of not triggering in one quadrant.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
With this zero-crossing isolator when it turns on it is very close to the zero crossing. See posts #6 again. This is not good for phase controlled dimming.

The circuit is basic for switching a load like an incandescent lamp or even a small ac motor. The driver for the LED lamp contains an ac-dc power supply. I believe you will find that the snubber (R2 + C1) is allowing a small current to bypass the TRIAC and charge the LED driver power supply. This leads to the LED lamp glowing dimly. Remove the snubber and all should be well.